2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best upgrade for pickup?

Old 09-03-2013, 12:57 AM
RedneckMagnumPower
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best upgrade for pickup?

Im thinking adding something to my pickup. Either a cold air intake or a chip. Which would be the best.

The current cover is an edelbrock circle air cleaner. Like the cheap chrome ones for $30 at napa.

Its an all stock 360 with a dual exhaust.

What would be the cost range of each, and what brand is recommended.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:59 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CAI is useless.

Fix your plenum, timing set, replace your cat, front O2 sensor, and do tune up stuffs before you start tossing more money at performance stuffs.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:17 AM
RedneckMagnumPower
Rookie

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
CAI is useless.

Fix your plenum, timing set, replace your cat, front O2 sensor, and do tune up stuffs before you start tossing more money at performance stuffs.
Has the plenum done, and does not have a cat. So, would just replacing the intake be the best option? I've seen ones like that let in dirt and kill a motor.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:30 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedneckMagnumPower
Has the plenum done, and does not have a cat. So, would just replacing the intake be the best option? I've seen ones like that let in dirt and kill a motor.
Don't bother with the intake. About all you can do is run a stock box, with a Spectre drop-in filter like I've got. Without spending $400 on a CAI, that's as good as it gets.

Spend your money elsewhere, like on a timing set and new O2 sensors.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:40 AM
RedneckMagnumPower
Rookie

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Don't bother with the intake. About all you can do is run a stock box, with a Spectre drop-in filter like I've got. Without spending $400 on a CAI, that's as good as it gets.

Spend your money elsewhere, like on a timing set and new O2 sensors.
I'm about as mechanically stupid as they come, but would new O2 sensors really do anything for a true dual exhaust set up?

It runs really great for a 96. Immediate power when pressing the gas, so would new timing do anything either? What is the sign that it needs replaced?

Old 09-03-2013, 02:00 AM
RedneckMagnumPower
Rookie

Originally Posted by KasperR34
You could always sell it and buy a hemi
Trust me, I would love a newer truck. But alas, Im a poor college student. This thing more than gets the job done. Plus, it gets a miracle 17mpg on 87 octane (not that 85.5 stuff or ethanol ****). Maybe one day Ill finally have the 4 letter word under my hood!

Old 09-03-2013, 02:04 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i think o2 sensors are usually suppose to be changed every 80,000mile. they get old and and don't work as good as when they were new which can lead to poor gas mileage. if you do replace it make sure to use a ntk brand one.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:28 AM
RedneckMagnumPower
Rookie

Originally Posted by KasperR34

I usually post this all the time and get ignored. Thanks for the response
Not quite new. But, bored as hell. May as well do something I will not regret in the future while bored.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:46 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

So your saying you only came on here to ask questions because you were bored?

Heck if you want something to do that you won't regret in the future have a visit with Palmula & her five sisters. That should take up about 3 minutes of your time.

Where do you have your current upstream O2 sensor right now in your dual exhaust?
How are you figuring your MPG? Give us some history on your truck.
Year, Model, mods so far, mileage on engine, drivetrain, size of tires and other stuff like that. To make it easy you can ad all that in your profile sig and then you won't have to do it each time you ask a question.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckMagnumPower
Trust me, I would love a newer truck. But alas, Im a poor college student. This thing more than gets the job done. Plus, it gets a miracle 17mpg on 87 octane (not that 85.5 stuff or ethanol ****). Maybe one day Ill finally have the 4 letter word under my hood!
If you're a poor college student then spend your money on proper maintenance parts and not on "upgrades".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best upgrade for pickup?