2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

power steering failed AGAIN.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 08:55 AM
intensify
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering failed AGAIN.

So I have this awesome 98 dodge RAM 1500 that runs great. Things have broken on it but that is to be expected on occasion... the problem I'm running into is the power steering. I've owned the truck for 8-9 years now and I've had to replace the pump 5 times so far.

Last time it failed I was driving down the freeway, heard a muffled pop and the truck overheated... looking under the hood I could see that the belt slipped off and the pump shaft was sticking slightly out of pump and was crooked. The shop swapped out the gear box and the pump and here we are 3 months later and the belt slipped off again.

This time the shaft slipped out but is not crooked... the part is under warranty which is nice but I've paid for this enough times and would like a resolution. so I'll have a new pump put in yet again and the gear box seems to be fine.

So my question is, anybody know why this continues to happen? I mean there has to be something else that is contributing to this never ending problem, unless I'm the one in a million that got 5 defective pumps in a row... somehow I don't believe that is the case, should it turn out to be I'll go in halves on lottery with any takers lol

any ideas?

Old 09-04-2013, 09:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

I agree, something else HAS to be going on there....

What brand pumps have you been getting? How does the gearbox feel? What fluid are you using? How is the rest of the steering linkage? Any binding in the system?

Old 09-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Or...... the shop is just installing crappy "reman" pumps that fail sooner than later. Might try finding a brand new one or even breaking down and getting one from dealer.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:22 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Let me guess, A-1 Cardone ? But I agree, something must be contributing to the failure. Is it lined up correctly?

Last edited by zman17; 09-04-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:58 PM
getdown78
Veteran

Originally Posted by zman17
Let me guess, A-1 Cardone ? But I agree, something must be contributing to the failure. Is it lined up correctly?
Most of the reman pumps now days are junk ! Spend the extra and get a new pump ! The metal in a pump can only take so much stress and heat over time so they just let go !

Old 09-04-2013, 05:14 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by getdown78
Most of the reman pumps now days are junk ! Spend the extra and get a new pump ! The metal in a pump can only take so much stress and heat over time so they just let go !

5 in 9 years seems a little extreme though.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:18 PM
getdown78
Veteran

Wrong fluid maybe ?

Old 09-04-2013, 05:18 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

Sounds like something is wrong - is the belt vs. pump pulley alignment correct and is your belt tensioner in good shape?

Old 09-05-2013, 08:40 AM
intensify

@ Hey you,
Honestly I don't know the brand of the pumps... the last two were from carquest...
the gear box was leaking on the last swap out and so we put in another one. just finished swapping it out again and this time it feels really smooth and is not leaking. The rest of the steering seems linkage seems to be fine and the pullys are lined up. I haven't seen or found evidence of binding.

maybe the pumps are just crap. the last one the shaft literally pulled out of the pump box, the gear on the end of the shaft was stripped.

remanufactured pumps... anybody know the price difference for a band new one?

Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by intensify
@ Hey you,
Honestly I don't know the brand of the pumps... the last two were from carquest...
the gear box was leaking on the last swap out and so we put in another one. just finished swapping it out again and this time it feels really smooth and is not leaking. The rest of the steering seems linkage seems to be fine and the pullys are lined up. I haven't seen or found evidence of binding.

maybe the pumps are just crap. the last one the shaft literally pulled out of the pump box, the gear on the end of the shaft was stripped.

remanufactured pumps... anybody know the price difference for a band new one?
1994-2002 Borgeson "Dodge Box"

$429
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalo...p-1-c-108.html

Quick Reply: power steering failed AGAIN.