2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

temporary pcm and fusebox replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 07:18 PM
heavyduty1983
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temporary pcm and fusebox replacement

i will list details the best i can im bad with trying to explain things via typing, maybe yall can help it may be a long post so sorry in advance. problem #1. truck would just randomly die and fuel pump would not come on. replaced fuel pump and filter with no luck, happen to be under hood and accidentally hit the fuse box hard with elbow and heard pump kick on and truck started. wiggled box and it sputtered and died, thought it was fuel pump relay replaced it and it ran for about 30 mins then died again, went to wiggle box and it worked again but noticed that the fuel pump relay was extremely hot so just kept switching out relays til i got tired of it and just eliminated the relay and put a toggle switch for fuel pump, problem fixed! it did throw codes p1388 and p1282 but it ran no biggie. ran like this for a year now having more problems which may co exist with problem #2 (will get to shortly). when first starting truck it idles bad and when driving likes to sputter like its not getting gas but never dies, when truck warms up it calms down a little and going up hills it sputters bad but never dies so going to replace pins and wiring in the fuse box to start running relay again think that will fix the overheating relay? or is this a bigger problem that im missing? the reason i thought it could be part problem #2 as well is because my pcm is bad p0601 but it runs, barely. im ordering a pcm Monday but the temporary pcm i was gonna try to use is from a 99 dodge 1500 automatic 5.9l 4x4. my truck is a 99 dodge 1500 5.2l 4x2 will this work at all just for a temp replacement.
this will be my second pcm the first one i ordered from automotive computer exchange which i have learned was a bad idea because they have horrible reviews. the one im ordering from this time http://dodgeautocomputers.com/Home or any suggestions yall may have. thanks in advance, yall have already helped me with so many problem's before.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

ACE is indeed pretty bad. They have an absolutely horrid reputation.

PCM doesn't care in the least about four wheel drive. It has no way of knowing which you have. (IE: Doesn't matter. )

I think there is a connector that has a bolt that holds it to the PDC. (the fuse block behind your battery) Might wanna pull the PDC, and have a look.

Quick Reply: temporary pcm and fusebox replacement