2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil and Water Jacket question

Old 09-24-2013, 04:05 PM
spikespencer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil and Water Jacket question

I have 1996 2500 4x4 with the 5.9L gasoline engine and I believe that there is a water jacket that is somehow leaching coolant into the oil. I have repeatedly taken a block tester to it and there are no exhaust gases present in the coolant, and the exhaust coming out of the tailpipe is clear and not sweet smelling. However, coolant level goes down quickly and I have chocolate shake emulsified oil. I was able to determine after draining all of the oil and then pressuring the coolant system that the coolant is getting into the oil and flowed out the oil pan in my test.

So I know the best course of action at this point is a rebuild or engine swap which I really don’t want to do considering how much that will cost. Should I just cut my losses now and try and sell it as-is? I am not that attached to it and the engine is past 200k, could I possibly clean the coolant system out really well and try to run some kind of stop leak snake oil or just pressurize it so it flows out of the hole? Any thoughts as to where the problem might be? Could it be something as simple as the intake manifold or is it more likely a hole in the block somewhere? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

~Spike~

Old 09-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would at least pull the manifold off an see how the gaskets look. The front and back rubber gaskets like to fold and fail and such, but normally right after install, not 200k miles?

I know after I did my plenum my back gasket failed and I had the exact same symptoms as you

Old 09-24-2013, 04:28 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Next test for me would be a comp test, see what you get.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:39 PM
spikespencer

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Next test for me would be a comp test, see what you get.
Not sure what a compression test would tell me since the Block Test comes up negative for exhaust gases, is there something that I should be looking for in the compression test? I would rather not refill with oil and run it until I get the coolant issue taken care of.

I don't have a history of this vehicle, it seemed to be an easy cooling system issue at first so while the dirt would say otherwise the intake may have been messed with. So guess I'll pull it and see what I can find.

~Spike~

Old 09-24-2013, 04:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Could still be a head gasket leaking, or intake manifold, or even the front timing cover. Only way to know, is tear it down and have a look. Probably under 200 bucks in gaskets and such.... (have you done your plenum?) But...... how much more for a lower mileage junkyard motor?

You won't get much for it as it is. probably 1000 bucks tops, IF the body is in REALLY good shape.

Where ya at, and how much would you sell it for?

Old 09-24-2013, 05:30 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Could still be a head gasket leaking, or intake manifold, or even the front timing cover. Only way to know, is tear it down and have a look. Probably under 200 bucks in gaskets and such.... (have you done your plenum?) But...... how much more for a lower mileage junkyard motor?

You won't get much for it as it is. probably 1000 bucks tops, IF the body is in REALLY good shape.

Where ya at, and how much would you sell it for?
Forgot about that. Could be just that ez.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:00 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

With 200,000 miles on the engine, its done well. Has the engine ever run hot/overheated? If so, that tends cause blown head gaskets and cracked heads. If it were my truck, I'd pull the motor down and find out what's wrong with it, if the truck is in decent shape and worth keeping.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:35 PM
spikespencer

Everything else is good but the truck was well used over the years. I'm in the Seattle area so I would guess I could get $2k even with the engine issues from my previous experience.

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
With 200,000 miles on the engine, its done well. Has the engine ever run hot/overheated? If so, that tends cause blown head gaskets and cracked heads. If it were my truck, I'd pull the motor down and find out what's wrong with it, if the truck is in decent shape and worth keeping.
It had all kinds of overheating issues when I got it and I am sure there is something internal wrong internally or else coolant would not be pushing into the oil. The block test coming back negative for exhaust gases at least tells me a few places where it is not.

Unfortunately the truck I would use to pick up a junk yard engine is the one that I need the engine for.

~Spike~

Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start with compression test and if that checks out good, then pull intake and timing cover to check for leak. This also lets you know if it has adequate compression and is worth putting the money into it.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:30 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by spikespencer

Unfortunately the truck I would use to pick up a junk yard engine is the one that I need the engine for.

~Spike~
Don't forget that many auto salvage yards (at least the ones I deal with in this area) will deliver an engine to your location.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil and Water Jacket question