2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Skyjacker 501 kit install questions

Old 09-28-2013, 05:04 PM
InfO
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Hey now what's with this red brake drum thing going on ??????

Looks good bud nice work, well done. It needs 37's

For bending the brake line tubing I use three 1/4 drive sockets screwed to a piece of plywood, then I bend around them. Put the tubing down on the wood, then screw one socket to the board on the underside of the tubing then one on the topside of the tubing about 3/4" back from the first one. This will let you make most bends without crushing the tube. The third socket it to be placed wherever you need it to make odd bends. NO pliers or needle nose or anything with a sharp edge should be used to bend a line, you will kink it for sure.

I can post a pic if you need one.
Was that YOU I saw on the youtube video that walked through that? That is literally how I am doing it.

And again... you know me, I paint _everything_ I can ;o)

Not gonna lie, pretty stoked. Now to get started on the front end. Going to be a bit more work with all the steering changes as well as the manual hub conversion. Still, stoked. Learned a _lot_ of lessons on the rear to take to the front.

InfO.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:19 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by InfO
Was that YOU I saw on the youtube video that walked through that? That is literally how I am doing it.

And again... you know me, I paint _everything_ I can ;o)

Not gonna lie, pretty stoked. Now to get started on the front end. Going to be a bit more work with all the steering changes as well as the manual hub conversion. Still, stoked. Learned a _lot_ of lessons on the rear to take to the front.

InfO.
Nope just the way I have had to do it when I don't have a bender on hand, it works just as good if not better for nice tight bends over a tubing bender. Someone has that posted on youtube lol thats funny just a good old school way of doing things.

Edit:If you have a link to that vid you should add it to this thread so people know what we are talking about.

Yaya whatever you got the red idea from me.......jk. mmm 8 bolts lol.

Last edited by merc225hp; 09-29-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Removed pic from post to prevent confusion about pinion angle.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:48 PM
InfO
Veteran

I see how it is! Showing it up, eh???

Here is the line installed over the axle. Plus the 8" braided SS line. And the vacuum line.

InfO.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I definitely am wrong according to the directions. Good of you to post them.

However, your picture showing all bolted up shows the pinion up higher compared to Merc's. Good reference is looking at the diff cover plane. Merc's is much more vertical compared to yours InFo. I'd gather they will settle a bit and come together.

Once you get to driving, if you feel a shudder, then that is related to the pinion offset from the tcase angle.

Looks good and I'm sure it feels good to get it so close!!

Old 09-28-2013, 05:58 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Nice and you used the convoluting to boot, something I could not find over here in the time frame I had. You need to move that e brake cable to the topside of the block, unclip it from the diff and hope you have enough slack to move it.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:01 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
I definitely am wrong according to the directions. Good of you to post them.

However, your picture showing all bolted up shows the pinion up higher compared to Merc's. Good reference is looking at the diff cover plane. Merc's is much more vertical compared to yours InFo. I'd gather they will settle a bit and come together.

Once you get to driving, if you feel a shudder, then that is related to the pinion offset from the tcase angle.

Looks good and I'm sure it feels good to get it so close!!
We can't go by mine in this case, I set my own pinion angle before I welded in the spring perches and in that pix it is not where I left it, it is now up further.

Last edited by merc225hp; 09-29-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling ****
Old 09-28-2013, 06:12 PM
InfO
Veteran

Son of a bitch... I literally just moved it BELOW the block because I thought I had it above by mistake.

Looking at working on the front now.

Edit: Noooope. Dark out now, so I'll save some more for tomorrow. Going over the skyjacker instructions for the front, as well as the EMS Offroad instructions for the locking hubs, and I'm just sort of hoping I'll figure out the change in steering system - I have that one guys website where he walks through it. Lots to do!

Also, Merc, thanks for the phone call today! Got us set right back on track!

Last edited by InfO; 09-28-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:14 PM
InfO
Veteran

And now to start the front...

InfO.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:26 PM
merc225hp
Champion

What no pre spraying of all the nutz!! Oooo gona be fun. 21mm is your best friend for the front and 15mm lol. So what lift first then the part time kit.

I missed your last edit, anytime bud glad I good help you over the phone. If you need to call I am kicking around today.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:32 PM
InfO
Veteran

Originally Posted by merc225hp
What no pre spraying of all the nutz!! Oooo gona be fun. 21mm is your best friend for the front and 15mm lol. So what lift first then the part time kit.

I missed your last edit, anytime bud glad I good help you over the phone. If you need to call I am kicking around today.
That **** didn't do squat. I just torched everything and hit most of it with the impact gun ;o) I am wasting money on soaking them.

Side note... project came to an abrupt end. Apparently I need special tools to remove the track arm from the frame and from what I gather, a tool to remove the pitman arm as well.

Glad I'm in the military... GF is checking with the tool crib at work as we speak ;o)

I'm going to toss in the lift, be satisfied, and as a fair number of things are off... I'll then put in the HD steering upgrade and then toss in the EMS Offroad hub conversion. Though... I need to look at those instructions as I haven't looked at them in a while. Also... considering the front brake upgrade. I don't recall much about it, but I know it should be feasible.

Last edited by InfO; 10-03-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Skyjacker 501 kit install questions