2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:38 AM
DeeJayh
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

98 dodge ram 1500 sport 360. Suddenly started chugging on the highway.rolled into town with little oil left and filled her back up and viola.

It seem's to be running ok, aside from the normal sucking the intake does (replaced IAC, but havent gotten to plenum yet... it's an idle leak, no difference cruising) it sounds like ( you can hear it in the video ) i lost compression via a piston ring, but unfortunately I have never been that far into to this size engine before and couldn't be certain without ripping it apart, which I just do not have the tools to do... Every vehicle I buy get @#!$ed man... Every single one... I have no luck and I'm about to invest in a nice *** bicycle... it may not haul much, but it can go almost anywhere and only has tires to worry about.

Please help...

Old 10-09-2013, 11:57 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So have you done a comp test to confirm the lost comp in whatever jug? If you do have a jug down below spec then its time for a rebuild or a used motor. Not worth messing around to try and make it run right on 7 jugs.

So do a dry/wet comp test and post back your findings.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:21 PM
DeeJayh
Rookie

Originally Posted by merc225hp
So have you done a comp test to confirm the lost comp in whatever jug? If you do have a jug down below spec then its time for a rebuild or a used motor. Not worth messing around to try and make it run right on 7 jugs.

So do a dry/wet comp test and post back your findings.
No, I haven't. I will see if that's feasible for me to do.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

If you can change sparkplugs, you can do a compression test. Rent the tool from the local auto parts store.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:00 PM
DeeJayh
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you can change sparkplugs, you can do a compression test. Rent the tool from the local auto parts store.
Yea, read a how to... pretty simply stuff. I'm debating whether or not I want to do it, as I hadn't noticed before, the smoke is sweet... and the smoke get's worse with throttle... I'm 99% sure it's the head gasket. I'll get back to you guys.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Yeah, that does sound bad.... Sorry man.