Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird A/C Issue?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-13-2013, 12:59 AM
JeremyMichael's Avatar
JeremyMichael JeremyMichael is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 134
Default Weird A/C Issue?

Okay, I am at a loss and so confused, I have had intermittent ac issues where the AC would not blow out cold air, more often then not. Sometimes it will others it won't, I thought maybe something was wrong with the r134a level's so I went out and bought one of these to check my high and low pressure, and to fill it if needed:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=436027_0_0_

Before I attach this and put it on, the car is off, and before it was turned off, the air was blowing non cold, as soon as I turn my car on with the attachment attached.....my air kicks on, and stays on very cold for at least 5 engine cycles (after I check my levels and they are at perfect levels, and detach tool, replace caps, and drive, then it stop's being cold.

Now if I reattach the tool, turn the engine on again, and let it run to test the level's it kicks back on.......using this tool for some reason kicks my ac into working, but when I stop using it, after a few cycles the air stops being cold?

Do you guys have any clue? Because I am stumped lol.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-13-2013, 01:08 AM
beeker's Avatar
beeker beeker is online now
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport 5.9
Location: Bremerton, WA
Posts: 405
mccormickta@yahoo.com
Default

Do you have power at the AC clutch pin connector when vehicle running and ac on but not working? If so, the clutch is a little worn and you need to remove a shim.

How bout the pressure switch, any power there?
__________________

HypotekCam206X4 112LSA, EQMonsterMagnumHeads, HS1.7A RollerRockers, F1Airgap, Fastman52mm, Bosch4holeInjectors, DavisFirepowerIgnition, VolantCAI, SCT, JBA Shortys, 3"MagnaflowExhaust, YukonDuragripLSD, 3.55, 'RockSolid' RamSteeringFix, SonnaxSureCure
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-13-2013, 01:17 AM
JeremyMichael's Avatar
JeremyMichael JeremyMichael is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker View Post
Do you have power at the AC clutch pin connector when vehicle running and ac on but not working? If so, the clutch is a little worn and you need to remove a shim.

How bout the pressure switch, any power there?
I don't have the proper tool to test it I don't think, but I did try to switch around matching relay's to see if it was the relay itself, with no luck, And i'm sorry, i'm pretty novice to most thing's under the hood, where is the pressure switch lol. I'm trying to fix it myself ot save a huge bill if it is simple.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-13-2013, 01:20 AM
beeker's Avatar
beeker beeker is online now
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport 5.9
Location: Bremerton, WA
Posts: 405
mccormickta@yahoo.com
Default

You need a test light or a multimeter to test voltage. That will help you eliminate or pinpoint the problem. You can pick up either at a parts store or hardware store.
__________________

HypotekCam206X4 112LSA, EQMonsterMagnumHeads, HS1.7A RollerRockers, F1Airgap, Fastman52mm, Bosch4holeInjectors, DavisFirepowerIgnition, VolantCAI, SCT, JBA Shortys, 3"MagnaflowExhaust, YukonDuragripLSD, 3.55, 'RockSolid' RamSteeringFix, SonnaxSureCure
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-13-2013, 01:27 AM
JeremyMichael's Avatar
JeremyMichael JeremyMichael is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker View Post
You need a test light or a multimeter to test voltage. That will help you eliminate or pinpoint the problem. You can pick up either at a parts store or hardware store.
Okay, i'll get one later today, for future reference though, where is the pressure switch? And to test the AC Clutch relay, I just take the tool and touch it inside of that specific relay correct, and see if it is getting power.

Also, why would the ac kick into full power, and last for a few engine cycles after testing the pressure in the high and low valves?

Last edited by JeremyMichael; 10-13-2013 at 01:33 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-13-2013, 01:33 AM
beeker's Avatar
beeker beeker is online now
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport 5.9
Location: Bremerton, WA
Posts: 405
mccormickta@yahoo.com
Default

No, remove the plug from the AC clutch and pressure switch, see if theres voltage at the terminals in the plug. If there is voltage and clutch not engaged, bingo. Do clutch first.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-13-2013, 01:38 AM
JeremyMichael's Avatar
JeremyMichael JeremyMichael is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 134
Default

Ah, so we aren't talking about the relay's then? We are talking about the two plugs connected to the compressor itself correct? The key will have to be in the on position correct in the cab, but doesn't have to have the engine turned over?

And if there is power getting to the unit, through both connections, it mean's a shim will have to be removed correct?

What confuses me is why the AC kicks on and stays cold for a few engine cycles after testing the pressure level's lol.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-13-2013, 02:02 AM
beeker's Avatar
beeker beeker is online now
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport 5.9
Location: Bremerton, WA
Posts: 405
mccormickta@yahoo.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyMichael View Post
Ah, so we aren't talking about the relay's then? We are talking about the two plugs connected to the compressor itself correct? The key will have to be in the on position correct in the cab, but doesn't have to have the engine turned over?

And if there is power getting to the unit, through both connections, it mean's a shim will have to be removed correct?

What confuses me is why the AC kicks on and stays cold for a few engine cycles after testing the pressure level's lol.
Motor needs to be running for voltage to be present (later models), yes the plug on the compressor.

Lets just deal with the compressor for now, yes if voltage present clutch should be engaged, if it's not remove one shim. Also if voltage present, low pressure switch is fine, no need to check. It's located on top of the silver canister (accumulator) next to the radiator.

Recommend you download the factory service manual from the stickies on the main page, it's free, read the AC section, lots of good info in there, tell you exactly how to find your problem.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-13-2013, 04:14 AM
JeremyMichael's Avatar
JeremyMichael JeremyMichael is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 134
Default

Okay weirdest thing, I ran one more high/low pressure test on the truck, and now all the sudden (knock on wood) the compressor clutch engages every time, and the air is ice cold. I have ran about 20ish turn over's with turning air on/off going from hot to cold, and each time it has gone to ice cold ^_^. Even driving the clutch stays engaged.

I am beginning to think that maybe the system was topped with a tad too much r134a, and it prevented the clutch from kicking on, even though the pressure gauges read perfect level's, maybe the r134a released from the pressure test's released the right amount of r134a to allow thew clutch to engage, because there was no high pressure?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-13-2013, 12:19 PM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou HeyYou is offline
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500
Location: Adrian, MI
Posts: 34,331
Default

What year is your truck?
__________________
1996 Ram 2500 5.9 EC/SB Gas, Auto, 4x4, Hughes plenum plate, Kegger mod, double roller timing set, rest is stock. For now.....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-13-2013, 02:56 PM
JeremyMichael's Avatar
JeremyMichael JeremyMichael is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 134
Default

A 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SRT
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-13-2013, 04:51 PM
zman17's Avatar
zman17 zman17 is offline
Registered User
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2008
Vehicle: 2000 2500HD 4x4 5.9
Location: NH
Posts: 18,729
Default

Does the compressor turn on and stay running when the ac is on?
__________________
2000 2500HD 4X4 5.9 and 4:10's,HF tuned SCT,Red-Head gear box, HS 1.7's,
50mm Fastman TB, Hughes Plate,2" Hell Bent ,Volant CAI
Flowmaster 50 series, Rock Solid Ram Steering fix,B&M trans cooler,fuzzy dice good for 5HP
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-13-2013, 06:53 PM
JeremyMichael's Avatar
JeremyMichael JeremyMichael is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 134
Default

Yes, but the clutch wont engage, today it went out, and I hooked the system up, the clutch didnt kick in and the low side read high, and the high side read low, but then again, yes again a second attempt, the compressor clutch kicked in and the levels in the system read at the optimal levels for cold air? Why when it wont kick on would the low/high read as high and low pressure, but when the clutch engages, it read's as optimal levels?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-13-2013, 07:26 PM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou HeyYou is offline
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500
Location: Adrian, MI
Posts: 34,331
Default

When the compressor isn't running, pressures will tend to equalize. There is a restriction in the line (expansion tube, or, orfice tube) so it doesn't happy immediately, but, should be pretty much equal within a few minutes.

If the clutch kicks out, you have an electrical problem somewhere. Either the relay is going bad, or one of the switches, are the wiring in between.
__________________
1996 Ram 2500 5.9 EC/SB Gas, Auto, 4x4, Hughes plenum plate, Kegger mod, double roller timing set, rest is stock. For now.....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-13-2013, 07:44 PM
JeremyMichael's Avatar
JeremyMichael JeremyMichael is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 134
Default

Well I have swapped out relay switches and it still doesn't kick on, I am about to test the power to the wires attached to the compressor itself when the car is on, if they all test good with power getting to them, and also the low pressure switch and the relay is still good, what should I check next?

Last edited by JeremyMichael; 10-13-2013 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-13-2013, 08:06 PM
JeremyMichael's Avatar
JeremyMichael JeremyMichael is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 134
Default

Okay....I may have faulty wiring? I took the two plugs off of the compressor and tested them, and the low pressure one too, the low pressure had power to it, but with the compressor plugs unplugged and the car both first tried just key turned over, then truck turned on, none of the plug's showed signs of power except the low pressure sensor???? Could this cause the intermittent clutch engaging and not engaging issues? A bad plug or wiring?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-14-2013, 12:14 AM
JeremyMichael's Avatar
JeremyMichael JeremyMichael is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 134
Default

Sorry to triple post, but maybe I can explain things clearer. What on the compressor am i supposed to look at to see if the clutch has engaged? When the car is on and air is on max, when the a/c is not cold, everything in the center of the compressor pully is spinning, nothing is still, and the same goes for when it is cold.

When the a/c is working and blowing cold, from inside the cab I hear an audible click, and no click when it's not, there is always a slight humming coming from the compressor when it's on. Even when I hear the audible click, I see no difference in the center of the compressor pully, it's still all spinning.

When the a/c doesn't work and I don't hear the audible click, with the truck off, the low pressure valve reads high, and the high pressure valve reads low, turn the truck on, if the click isn't heard it reads the same, and everything in the compressor pully is spinning, like the clutch engaged, but I just didn't hear an audible click.

Now, when the a/c does work and blows cold air, the pressure gauges read as right on the near edge of low and full for the low end, and right on the edge of needs service and full for the high end, could that mean when the a/c actually kicks on I may need to add just a little r134a? Or is it probably a bigger issue?

When I say right on the line I mean it rides the line, its neither in the full or empty line, it's right on the divide, could this be the reason for the problem? If so I am confused as to why when the a/c is either off, or not working, the pressure gauges reads as low is high, and high is low, meaning in the gauges terms the compressor may be clogged? But when it's working and I hear the click, it reads right on the line.

Again though, working or not working, when i look at the center of the pully everything in the center is spinning and working, it's just the air isn't cold if I don't hear the click. When there is no click, it isn't hot air, or super cold, but it seems to be a (tad) cold.

Last edited by JeremyMichael; 10-14-2013 at 12:35 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-14-2013, 12:52 AM
beeker's Avatar
beeker beeker is online now
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport 5.9
Location: Bremerton, WA
Posts: 405
mccormickta@yahoo.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyMichael View Post
Sorry to triple post, but maybe I can explain things clearer. What on the compressor am i supposed to look at to see if the clutch has engaged? When the car is on and air is on max, when the a/c is not cold, everything in the center of the compressor pully is spinning, nothing is still, and the same goes for when it is cold.

When the a/c is working and blowing cold, from inside the cab I hear an audible click, and no click when it's not, there is always a slight humming coming from the compressor when it's on. Even when I hear the audible click, I see no difference in the center of the compressor pully, it's still all spinning.

When the a/c doesn't work and I don't hear the audible click, with the truck off, the low pressure valve reads high, and the high pressure valve reads low, turn the truck on, if the click isn't heard it reads the same, and everything in the compressor pully is spinning, like the clutch engaged, but I just didn't hear an audible click.

Now, when the a/c does work and blows cold air, the pressure gauges read as right on the near edge of low and full for the low end, and right on the edge of needs service and full for the high end, could that mean when the a/c actually kicks on I may need to add just a little r134a? Or is it probably a bigger issue?

When I say right on the line I mean it rides the line, its neither in the full or empty line, it's right on the divide, could this be the reason for the problem? If so I am confused as to why when the a/c is either off, or not working, the pressure gauges reads as low is high, and high is low, meaning in the gauges terms the compressor may be clogged? But when it's working and I hear the click, it reads right on the line.

Again though, working or not working, when i look at the center of the pully everything in the center is spinning and working, it's just the air isn't cold if I don't hear the click. When there is no click, it isn't hot air, or super cold, but it seems to be a (tad) cold.
Center of the compressor is called the clutch, if it's spinning that means it's working, it should click on and off as it regulates the temperature so it doesn't freeze too cold. When it clicks off the center(clutch) will stop spinning. Does it spin with ac off engine on? it shouldn't. I don't know if were talking about the same click, only click should be the sound of the clutch engaging and disengaging, nothing else. You may be low on refrigerant if its not cold and clutch is spinning but you should notice a slight temp drop even if its low and still engages. It won't spin at all if it's too low on refrigerant. where's the click coming from? in the cab or engine bay?
Some of these aren't too easy, I would read the free Factory service manual to get a better understanding of how the system works and trouble shooting procedures.

There shouldn't be a whine coming from the compressor, might be something to look closer at.

Last edited by beeker; 10-14-2013 at 12:56 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-14-2013, 01:21 AM
JeremyMichael's Avatar
JeremyMichael JeremyMichael is offline
Professional
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker View Post
Center of the compressor is called the clutch, if it's spinning that means it's working, it should click on and off as it regulates the temperature so it doesn't freeze too cold. When it clicks off the center(clutch) will stop spinning. Does it spin with ac off engine on? it shouldn't. I don't know if were talking about the same click, only click should be the sound of the clutch engaging and disengaging, nothing else. You may be low on refrigerant if its not cold and clutch is spinning but you should notice a slight temp drop even if its low and still engages. It won't spin at all if it's too low on refrigerant. where's the click coming from? in the cab or engine bay?
Some of these aren't too easy, I would read the free Factory service manual to get a better understanding of how the system works and trouble shooting procedures.

There shouldn't be a whine coming from the compressor, might be something to look closer at.
I believe from the engine compartment, I occasionally hear a click that sounds like it's in the cab, so I know I'm definitely looking at the right pully, are there any picks of the clutch in a 2nd gen dodge?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-14-2013, 01:28 AM
beeker's Avatar
beeker beeker is online now
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport 5.9
Location: Bremerton, WA
Posts: 405
mccormickta@yahoo.com
Default

Yes in the free Factory Service Manual
http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-...e-manuals.html
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:28 AM
 
 
 
Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:27 AM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails