2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Kegger Mod Question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Stock TB is basically 48mm. Opening it up to 50 is reportedly a noticeable improvement in throttle response, but, not necessarily more power. 52mm will more than likely give you some more up top, but, may reduce power at lower RPM. (at low RPM, power is all about flow velocity, not volume.)

Lower temp thermostat won't give you any gains. Might reduce spark knock some, but, if that isn't currently a problem for you..... then it isn't a problem. It MAY annoy the PCM though.... and set a code for engine too cold, too long. (PCM expects 195 operating temp. With 180 stat, it will never get there.)

If you run an SCT tuner from Hemifever, he recommends the 180 stat. Otherwise, just stick with stock.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That make sense about going to big on the throttle body, so I will go with the 50mm throttle body. The same goes for the thermostat, I will stay with the 195 degree thermostat.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:26 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You'll also get worse mpg's with a colder Tstat. Same goes for if you get an SCT tuner, and install a 180 stat. The SCT is pretty much all about power, not really for MPG's.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
... The SCT is pretty much all about power, not really for MPG's.
I'd say yes & no to that.

It depends on what else you've done, and how you drive it.
I've been watching my MPG as I bolt things on, and SCT was the single biggest MPG gain, if I drive mellow and don't hoe into the new found power.

These are the rough MPG numbers for the changes I made;
K&N +1.25
T'Fans +0.75
SCT +2.00
FI-Airgap, 52mm TB, 4 port injectors -1.50

Before any of the changes I was getting low 11's (with a slight plenum leak).
For a few months I was getting low 15's (still with the plenum leak), but now I'm mid to high 13's.
I can easily get back to low 12's if I revel in the new power I have.

I'm curious as to what the LT headers and 3" exhaust will do when I get to install that lot.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by Spillage
I'd say yes & no to that.

It depends on what else you've done, and how you drive it.
I've been watching my MPG as I bolt things on, and SCT was the single biggest MPG gain, if I drive mellow and don't hoe into the new found power.

These are the rough MPG numbers for the changes I made;
K&N +1.25
T'Fans +0.75
SCT +2.00
FI-Airgap, 52mm TB, 4 port injectors -1.50

Before any of the changes I was getting low 11's (with a slight plenum leak).
For a few months I was getting low 15's (still with the plenum leak), but now I'm mid to high 13's.
I can easily get back to low 12's if I revel in the new power I have.

I'm curious as to what the LT headers and 3" exhaust will do when I get to install that lot.
Initially, it is going to spank your fuel economy, because you will like the sound so much, you will want to hear it more. After that..... you *should* see a bit of an improvement, just depends on how you drive it.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Initially, it is going to spank your fuel economy, because you will like the sound so much, you will want to hear it more. After that..... you *should* see a bit of an improvement, just depends on how you drive it.
Yup, that happened with the other mods also

Quick Reply: Kegger Mod Question.