2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Kegger Mod Question.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:13 AM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kegger Mod Question.

I was reading in the how to section at the top of the page about doing the kegger mod, and I have a some questions.

By cutting the runners shorter inside the kegger, what does this do ?, do you gain more air flow or ?.

I hear some refer to something called a turtle (a triangular shaped thing) what is this ?, and is it something that is removed when you do the kegger mod ?.

My 2000 Ram 5.9 has a 168.000 miles on it, and im sure the previous owner never had the plenum gasket replaced or even knew what it was for that matter. I plan on buying another intake so I can do the kegger mod on it and get a hughes plenum plate.

So far sense ive owned this truck I havn`t noticed any pinging or oil loss at all, so hopefully it will get by until next summer when I can afford to pay a shop to do it.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:41 AM
redneck_ram
Champion

I have a kegger with the kegger mod and the hughes plate already installed on it for sale. Pm me for details if youre interested.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Kegger mod moves the power band up a hundred or so RPM, and give a bit more in the higher RPM range. Kegger still chokes the engine over about 4500 RPM in any event.

Turtle is something you install in the manifold while doing the plate. It reduces plenum volume.... if it does anything for performance, it isn't going to be much.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:26 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Leave the intake alone if you tow.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran

Originally Posted by zman17
Leave the intake alone if you tow.
I don`t tow anything, and if I did it wouldn`t be anything more than a small trailer for my ATV.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:44 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Personal preference then, I like more bottom end.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Modding the keg is to get it to breath better (more air in), but the mod shortens the runners and moves the power band up in the rpm range.
This is also what happens when using the M1 or FI-Airgap manifolds.
Has anyone made a custom manifold with a stock length runner of larger diameter?

Old 10-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran

Originally Posted by Spillage
Modding the keg is to get it to breath better (more air in), but the mod shortens the runners and moves the power band up in the rpm range.
This is also what happens when using the M1 or FI-Airgap manifolds.
Has anyone made a custom manifold with a stock length runner of larger diameter?
About how many rpm does the kegger mod raise the power band up ?.
If its just a couple hundred rpm`s that shouldn`t be to bad ?.

I also plan on adding a larger throttle body and 1.7 HS roller rockers, as well as having the exhaust done.

I have to do this a little at a time, but im hoping these mods will give me a noticeable gain in power.

Your opinions on this.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram Driver
About how many rpm does the kegger mod raise the power band up ?.
If its just a couple hundred rpm`s that shouldn`t be to bad ?...
Originally Posted by HeyYou
Kegger mod moves the power band up a hundred or so RPM,...
Originally Posted by Ram Driver
...I also plan on adding a larger throttle body and 1.7 HS roller rockers, as well as having the exhaust done.

I have to do this a little at a time, but im hoping these mods will give me a noticeable gain in power.

Your opinions on this.
I'm on the same path... My sig line tells you where I'm at.

The K&N let it breath a little easier.
The SCT by HemiFever was a good step up.
The FI-Airgap, 52mm TB, and 4 hole injectors did move the power band up... under 1600rpm is ho-hum, but it starts coming alive at 1800, and by 2000rpm it's off to the races.

I have Pacesetter LT headers & Y-pipe, Magnaflow HF Cat, 3" muffler & tailpipe w/4" tip sitting on the floor waiting to be installed.

Following that will be H&S1.7's.

At some point I'll up the octane and the SCT program to match.

So far I've seen good gains, but I'm hoping for a little more, and to regain a little of the lower range.

If I was to do a single thing, it would be the SCT by Hemifever.

Last edited by Spillage; 10-13-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran

I appreciate you guys answering all of my questions. I just have a couple more questions and I should have all the info I need for right now.

Ive been looking at throttle body`s, and ive seen them in 50mm and 52mm, and I was wondering if you would really notice a difference in 2mm between the 50mm and 52mm throttle body ?.

The next thing I have questions about is a lower temp thermostat. If I went with a 180 degree thermostat would I gain or notice anything at all ?. Ive always heard the the 195 degree thermostat was used to run the engine hotter to reduce emissions.

There are no emissions testing were I live so I don`t have to worry about that. My main concern would be with the lower thermostat would I lose any gas mileage or performance ?.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kegger Mod Question.