2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clunking sound when shifting my 5 speed

Old 10-21-2013, 12:26 AM
hemicyrus01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking sound when shifting my 5 speed

Hey guys, I have a 1999 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport with a 318 that has a 5 speed behind it with a centerforce dual friction clutch. The truck has many mods but I will list only what I think is relevant for a diagnosis for the problem. The motor has no internal work done. It has Gibson headers, MSD coil, MSD wires, Bosch platinum +4 plugs, Full Magnaflow exhaust (Dual w/ high flow cats (including O2 sensors) K & N FIPK cold air intake. The trans was completely rebuilt about 2 years ago. I just did the pinion bearing about 2 months ago. It shifts and runs great. The problem is I get this "clunk" from time to time when shifting. Sometimes worse than others. The shifts themselves are not rough however. I thought maybe it was u joints, but they are all good. My next guess would be maybe a bad bearing in the transfer case? Im almost almost 100% its not the tranny and I know its not the rear end. So that pretty much leaves me with the transfer case. I havent touched that since I bought it in 2003. So the rebuild kit is under a hundred bucks and it doesnt seem like too bad of a job. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Old 10-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not uncommon to have clunks from a manual trans vehicle with anything other than perfect shifts, especially in a 4x4 truck, there are a number of parts for backlash to add up in. I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets worse.

What's up with the centerforce? The stock clutches take a LOT of torque.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:48 AM
hemicyrus01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, when my stock clutch wore out at 198,000 and it was time to replace it I knew that I would also be pulling the 318 to put on an engine stand for a while to slowly build a reliable 400 horse daily driver and I wanted a good clutch behind it so I went with Centerforce. So when the truck gets good and warm the clunking seems to go almost completely away. Its not a huge deal, its just one one those things that irritates you, because you cant pinpoint where its coming from. Ive had her for 10 years now and she has been so good to me. Im doing a ground up resto. Its almost 100% mechanically sound, I just wish I knew for sure it was the transfer case before I opened it up. But like I said in the earlier post, the rebuild kit is under a hundred bucks and its half a Saturday to take apart and rebuild. I was figuring someone else on here had the same issue with a 99 4x4 with around 200k. I got mine with 40k and do maintenance religiously. I do drive it like I stole it though. I dont really do much off roading. I may put it in 4 wheel drive 2 times a year. Im more about putting on a smoke show. I have a Detroit True Trac rear end and the centerforce clutch and built the trans myself so I know it can take the punishment. When I got it, I was living in Pennsylvania and needed a 4x4, now I live in Texas and wish I had 2 wheel drive. A lot less problems to have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunking sound when shifting my 5 speed