2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blown Blower Motor Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:40 PM
hmlawn1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Blown Blower Motor Fuse

I have a 2000 Ram 2500. As soon as ignition is turned on blower motor fuse is blown. I have troubleshot the whole blower motor system everything checks out, fuses, relays, motor, resistor block and a/c heater control unit. Cant find why fuse is blowing every time!?!?! Any suggestions???????? Could there be something wrong with the ignition switch since the fuse blows right away when turned to run? Or could the resistor block have short in it causing this issue. Just want my heat and a/c back. Everything else works fine just no blower motor.

Last edited by hmlawn1; 11-07-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:41 AM
BULLRAM
Veteran

When you say the blower motor checks out what did you check?,The blower motor could be drawing too much current to turn, unplug it and put in the correct amp fuse turn it on, put a test light or DVM on the plug and see the current is at the plug, if it doesnt blow the fuse get a new blower motor

Old 11-10-2013, 09:30 PM
hmlawn1
Exclamation

have now currently gone throughout the whole system first isolating all circuits and checking for continuity, all tested good. then started disconnecting one component at a time all the way up to the control. still blowing fuses right when ignition is turn to run position. installed a new ignition switch, no change. I have a short somewhere and I am suspecting that it is behind the dash fuse panel or in a spot on the schematics called a J/C 8. anyone know how to access this junction block or whatever it is and could that even be it. to be blowing fuses right as soon as the ignition is turned to run says short to ground to me but I am at a loss. please help if you have any advise. LOST IN MY DODGE RAM WIRING!!!!!!

Old 11-10-2013, 09:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Does the fuse still blow with the motor disconnected?

Junction block IS that fuse panel on the side of the dash. You 'might' be able to see it from underneath..... might even be able to pull it out and have a look at it.

Is anything else on that fuse?

Old 11-10-2013, 09:40 PM
hmlawn1

Fuse still blows with motor disconnected cant see the back side of the panel where the fuses are mounted on side of das. And i have now idea where to look for j/c 8 mitchell pro says to look behind center of dash. It has four dk blue wires going in and out of it supposedly but i cant find it and have no idea if it is even a culprit. AND NOTHING ELSE BUT THE BLOWER MOTOR ON THAT FUSE.

Last edited by hmlawn1; 11-10-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: ADDITIONAL COMMENTS
Old 11-10-2013, 09:47 PM
hmlawn1
Angry darn fuse problem

But what is J/C 8? could it be causing the short and how would I find it? it is probably gonna be something so obvious that as soon as I see it I am gonna be so ticked off.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Blower switch provides ground path for the blower circuit. If the circuit still blows with the motor disconnected, the problem is upstream from the motor. I think the J/C 8 you are looking for is the resistor block. (varying values of resistance on the wires gives different blower speeds.) That is downstream from the blower motor. I don't think that is the problem.

Looking at the 01 service manual, blower motor fuse (12) is in PDC. 40 amp. From there, goes to relay, and then off to the motor.

Is that the fuse that is blowing? Does it still blow with the relay removed?

Quick Reply: Blown Blower Motor Fuse