2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

285/75/16" tires and 4.10 gears - Woo Hoo!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:16 AM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
awesome.

time to get personal.
what brand gears and install kits did you get?
how much for parts?
how much for labor?
I had the work done at 4Wheel Parts in Nashville, TN. For the gear change front and rear (with the associated seals/bearings and such from the master install kits), True-Trac up front, and changing the U-joints in the front axle came to $2500. I'll have to get my receipt to break it down by parts and labor. I couldn't find anyone in Clarksville TN to do gears (not that I did an exhaustive search).

I got the old parts back, and they put them in the boxes the new parts came in, but they put them in the back of the truck and it was dark as I was taking them out of the truck so off the top of my head I'm not sure what brand gears and such. For some reason "Precision" is sticking in my mind, but I'll have to check when I get home.

On the rear end I had a True-Trac installed previously (love it). The shop told me when I picked it up last night (if I'm saying this right) the spanner nut was seized into place, but they were able to shim it to get the rear set up correctly. So they didn't know if somehow it got crossthreaded when they put the True-Trac in years ago or what, but it's not going anyplace. The lock nut thingy is also locked in place so it doesn't decide to move later.

I've got a Posi-lock thing waiting at home (and a new fork) to install so the long side two-piece front axle will always be locked together as one. That's how it is on my TJ (no two-piece axle). It's always been a nagging concern of mine that I'd get a vaccum leak at the wrong time and the sleeve wouldn't slide when I needed the 4WD. Not sure yet how this new Posi-lock thing will affect the 4WD light on the dash when it's shifted into 4WD. I got the Posi-lock that keeps the two axles permanently in place; not the one that uses the cable.

The truck has always been a beast in the snow (especially with the True-Trac in the rear) so I figure with one now up front it'll be even better in the snow and muddy conditions. The truck isn't set up to be an off-road animal (that's what my TJ and ****** are for). But I figured since I was changing the gears out anyways now would be the time. The True-Tracs have been touted for years as the ideal front axle limited slip.

Attached Thumbnails 285/75/16" tires and 4.10 gears - Woo Hoo!-truck-and-new-tires.jpg  

Last edited by armynurse; 05-05-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about buying a true trac in the rear as well so glad you like it. Let me know when you try out the front :P

Old 11-14-2013, 09:51 AM
armynurse
Veteran

Ok; so I ordered the 35 tooth speedometer gear. Hopefully that will get my speedometer corrected.

It sure did feel better driving it with the 4.10 gears compared to the 3.55 gears that were in there from the factory.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:03 PM
97r/tram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ebay has them used for cheap.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by armynurse

Not sure yet how this new Posi-lock thing will affect the 4WD light on the dash when it's shifted into 4WD. I got the Posi-lock that keeps the two axles permanently in place; not the one that uses the cable.
The light is controlled by a switch in your transfer case so you're good on that. And as you know having your axle locked isn't going to cause issues in 2WD. I'll bet your truck will be a blast to drive in the winter with those TruTrac's front and rear.

I know it is a Dodge forum but share some about your TJ and *****'s plz!!!
I'm a Jeep nut so it is always fun to run into someone else with a Jeep on here.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How do you have a posi-lock what is with no cable? Is this not what you are talking about?

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html

The 4wd light comes on if the harness wire at the CAD is plugged in under the radiator. The switch in the tcase is only for changing the direction of the vacuum.

Unless there is something different for the older trucks since OP is 1996?

Old 11-14-2013, 03:00 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

edit -too slow to follow wildman. WK scooped me.

the factory tcase switch is a vacuum switch only, and does not directly control the dash light. the dash light is turned on/off from an electrical connector on a contact switch in the drivers side end of the cad.

my posilok is a connect/disconnect style, and it came with a replacement electrical switch that still turns the light on/off based on movement of the shift fork.

for the other version of the posilok that stays coupled full time, i don't know what they recommend. i think you'd have to either a) turn it on/off full time, or b) rig up an electrical switch that was still based on the original tcase vac switch.

your full time posiok

this is the factory 4wd light indicator switch:

Last edited by dhvaughan; 11-14-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Learned something as I didn't know there was that configuration. Just saw it tucked on the right side of the page for Posilok. Not a good idea for street use unless you have manual locking hubs.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:13 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Sorry for miss speaking guys. I should learn to not think these dang nab trucks are anything like the Jeeps. I'll keep my big mouth shut from now on when I am not 100% sure of what I am talking about............................................. .........................

Smack back of head twice......................................

Old 11-14-2013, 11:14 PM
armynurse
Veteran

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Learned something as I didn't know there was that configuration. Just saw it tucked on the right side of the page for Posilok. Not a good idea for street use unless you have manual locking hubs.
Jeep TJs since their introduction in 1997 and Grand Cherokees since their introduction (1993?) have always had non-two piece axles up front (in other words, they have one-piece axles on both sides of the pumpkin). The Jeep YJs (~1986 - 1995) have the two piece axles up front like our Dodge Rams. And I'm running a full locker up front in my TJ (Aussie locker), and with the TJ's one-piece axles and unit bearing hubs you could say my hubs are locked up front all the time.

I don't know why Dodge never caught on and stopped the two-piece axle nonsense up front on their Ram trucks. EMS makes a kit to put locking hubs up front of our rams, and also offers a one-piece axle for the long side sold separately.

Quick Reply: 285/75/16" tires and 4.10 gears - Woo Hoo!