2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

crank shaft walking in my 1996 cummins

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 02:56 AM
dstanford60
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank shaft walking in my 1996 cummins

I replaced both axles in this 1996 Dodge 4x4 cummins,I replaced the automatic transmission with an upgraded transmission with a triple billet converter,I built a dump bed using the original Dodge bed,I replaced the front fenders,hood,and radiator and support,then I repaired all oil leaks from bumper to bumper,then after servicing the engine and transmission,a few days later I started hearing this faint knocking-scraping sound,I pulled the bottom cover off the tranny to find small thin shavings ,I checked to see if the converter bolts may of came loose but they were tight,then it hit me,the crank was walking,sure enough,it was ,so my question is,I already lifted the engine up out of it's motor mounts,and removed the oil pick up tube and oil pan,bought new STD. main bearings,question is will I be able to change them from under the truck while engine is still in the truck,or am I going to run into some kind of problem,I have done in frames before in the bigger trucks with the cummins 350's and 400's both big and small cam motors,I haven't done one of these smaller cummins before,has anyone else ever changed the main bearings with out pulling the motor?

Old 05-06-2014, 06:27 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be better off posting in the cummins section...you'll get a lot more responses from the diesel guys.

Quick Reply: crank shaft walking in my 1996 cummins