2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

42re trans help

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 04:54 PM
keepitdroped
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 42re trans help

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 2 wheel drive 3.9l with what I belive to be a 42re trans. My truck has right at 200k miles on it trans started not wabting to shift untill high rpms are I let off the gas over drive started messing up and going in and out of over drive. Now when I am at a complete stop it takes off real slow like trying to take off in a higher gear. While driving it shifts every whers constantly shifting in and out of diffrent gears. I can't put it in 1 on the colume and take off it takes off kinda slow but goes and put into second and drives normal but drive shifts horrible and all over the place. Is this possibly a solenoid issue are am I looking at a rebuild.any help would be great my only vehical and not a lot of money so looking for quickest and cheapest way thanks in advance

Old 12-01-2013, 06:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Ouch. That's not good.

Try this:

Crawl under the truck. About halfway back on the trans, on the drivers side, is an 8 pin connector. Unplug it. Take the truck for a test drive. You will HAVE to shift gears manually, as there will be zero automatic function. If it starts out in the gear you tell it to, and shifts decent, then you problem is electrical. If it still misbehaves.... you are lookin' at a rebuild. With 200K on it...... I would be tempted to just rebuild it..... or swap it out for a known good used trans.....

Quick Reply: 42re trans help