2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new to forum and have a new question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 12:12 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by baymaven11
no havnt done that, oil pans goin to have to wait a bit unfortunately. Thanks for the tip on rtv though, iv sure been using it very thinly on both sides of all gaskets (dont know where i picked that up, a amateur thing i suppose lol) >from what iv read the i.m. just needs a lil black rtv on the rubber 'cross gaskets' like u said & mabe the a dab on the corner of intake gasket.. sound about right? :-D
Yep that sounds about right to me.

I can't type today. I hope you could decipher all that

Old 04-21-2014, 01:42 PM
baymaven11
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks as always :-)

Old 04-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Snowfan
Professional

bay...You mentioned your RP oil being expensive....you must dump your oil and filter after this job as there will be coolant in it.

When you do your oil pump, do the rear main also...since you are in there.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:48 PM
baymaven11
Rookie
Cool

lol thanks 4 the info, seems the deeper i get fixing her up the more shes breaking my pockets (become a love hate relationship between my truck & me haha)

Old 04-26-2014, 08:35 PM
Davedacarpainter
Rookie

Hey bay, I second the rear main seal and oil pump. There are great post about changing the seal. Save yourself wasted time trying to take the oil pan off without jacking up the engine, just jack it up about three inches, don't now how anyone could get the oil pan off otherwise. Rear main seal and oil pump change are relatively cheap. The new oil pan gasket costs about the same as the oil pump itself. Mine was about $100 total for everything at the bottom. My oil pressure was vastly improved with the new oil pump, didn't realize how worn out the old pump was. Kind-of a pita, but I considered it bonding time with my girlfriend (the truck, in case my wife reads this!). I hope everything else your doing goes well for you. I did all that by myself and it turned out great, this should inspire you, I'm an idiot.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:36 PM
baymaven11
Rookie

Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter
Hey bay, I second the rear main seal and oil pump. There are great post about changing the seal. Save yourself wasted time trying to take the oil pan off without jacking up the engine, just jack it up about three inches, don't now how anyone could get the oil pan off otherwise. Rear main seal and oil pump change are relatively cheap. The new oil pan gasket costs about the same as the oil pump itself. Mine was about $100 total for everything at the bottom. My oil pressure was vastly improved with the new oil pump, didn't realize how worn out the old pump was. Kind-of a pita, but I considered it bonding time with my girlfriend (the truck, in case my wife reads this!). I hope everything else your doing goes well for you. I did all that by myself and it turned out great, this should inspire you, I'm an idiot.
thanks 4 the info! iv definitely got it on my 'to do list' but i just dont have the extra $ yet (have just kept her sitting til i could finish but need it back lol) >im planning on just flushing oil for now & cleaning out lifter valley/pan with a lil diesel @ the same time.. run some regular oil for a month or 2 & put the good back in til my budget/time lets me drop the pan & redo all that right. >hopefully that works out ;-)

Last edited by baymaven11; 05-01-2014 at 01:18 AM.

Quick Reply: new to forum and have a new question