2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:26 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No brakes

So my brakes allmost got me killed the other day.I recently rebuilt the rear brakes&swapped new pads in on the front&they seemed fine but the othet nite I got off the hwy&a lady jumped out infront of me&I slammed on my brakes&had none.
Well I checked & my reservoir & the part for the front was empty & the rubber gasket was sucked in.I filled thought was fine. I bled the brakes & started the truck drove down the rd slammed on brakes &had none pumped a few times then they worked.It seems like everytime I start it unless I pump I dont have brakes.Wtf is going on?I noticed betweeen the booster & reservoir its wet looks like maybe a leak so Im thinking its the booster plus when I pump I can hear air everytime I pump it sounds like its sucking.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:09 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 299 Likes on 283 Posts

Sounds like a leaky master cylinder and/or brake booster. I'd also check your metal brake lines to ensure that they are not leaking, too. The brake lines tend to rust out over the years.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:10 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if the fluid is leaking out at the master cylinder, it points to a bad master cylinder, leaking around the push rod. there should not be any fluid anywhere in the booster, or anywhere outside the high pressure lines of the brake system.

you could rebuild it, or just replace it with a new/rebuilt unit. be sure and do the bench bleed process before installing to save a lot of time bleeding out the air.

edit- AD beat me to it.

Quick Reply: No brakes