2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oops. Busted Coolant Temp Sensor....

Old 12-18-2013, 07:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Nope. Manifold isn't threaded. The four end holes are exposed though, so the bolt ends can corrode real nice, and then seize up when trying to remove them. They aren't the strongest things in the world to begin with, and yep, they do break easily.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:03 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can see in the photo that the water jacket is shared right there, you would have been fine. If your in there you might wish to install a new set of lifters no better time than now.

Last edited by merc225hp; 12-09-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:51 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
You can see in the photo that the water jacket is shared right there, you would have been fine. If your in there you might wish to install a new set of lifters no better time than now.

Mine is actually set up a bit different than this.. There is no pcm temp sensor, there is the thermostat housing, and the temp sensor I broke is to the left (facing the truck) and back from the thermostat, actually directly behind the Alternator, so much you have to remove the alternator and the heater hose (between the sensor and thermostat housing) to get to it. Probably all still in the same area, but different.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:09 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

I have drained all the fluid in it now.. If I knock it loose, how far down in that water jacket can it fall?

Old 12-18-2013, 08:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Just into the head. You would probably still be able to see it, and fish it out with something.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:26 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

Thanks. I've been debating just knocking it out and using a small flat screw driver to bend the brass together and twist it out with needle nose pliers.. Think ill continue to pull the manifold though. Now I am curious about the gasket, and those back bolts.. Anyone have a picture of this pry spot on the manifold front?

Old 12-18-2013, 08:28 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

The bolts to the thermostat wouldn't be holding it in, would they? I left the thermostat on, since it was just replaced, and pulled the hose off.. Also, left the fuel rails on and just disconnected the injector plugs and the fuel line itself.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Nope. Thermostat bolts just hold the housing to the manifold.

On the front of the intake, toward the drivers side, there is a bit of a nub sticking out, you can get something under that, between the nub, and timing cover, and pry a bit to get it to break loose. The wider the tool the better. (distributes force over larger area on timing cover, less likelihood of breaking it.....)

Old 12-19-2013, 11:15 AM
RaissiKitten
Professional

Alright.. I double checked to make sure everything is loose.. Everything is. 12 bolts, 6 on each side.. All the connections are off.. I have been at it all stinkin morning, prying, smacking, even took a putty knife and got it all the way across the gasket at the front corners, pried some more.. smacked some more, I can see a small gap at the front.. The gasket is literally gunked all around this thing, I think I'm fighting this gasket.. I don't have gasket remover, is there something I can spray to eat this gasket out?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Sometimes they just hang on pretty tight..... you have everything off. Keep playin' with it.

Bigger pry bar?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oops. Busted Coolant Temp Sensor....