2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end makes thump noise and I can feel it in the steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:08 PM
6inarow
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end makes thump noise and I can feel it in the steering

I have a 98 dodge with stock tires but replaced the tie rod ends, power steering pump, brakes rotors, rear end, and ball joints, basically everything but the wheel bearings and front end differential. When I'm driving I can feel and hear a loud thump noise in my front end and it feels like the steering gets sloppy and centers again. It's very intermittent and sporadic. I pulled My wheel off and put it back on and confirmed a bad wheel bearing ( slop in the up down motion) however I was told my issue wouldn't be caused by this. It seems to differentiate left and right but I know the shocks and vibrations can be coming from anywhere. Sometimes it makes a grinding noise and sometimes it's silent. I replaced the pump and gearbox hoping the issue would go away but it didn't. Replaced the tie rod ends and it didn't go away. Alignment wasn't cheap ( before doing all the work) and don't want to do that agin since I did it 4 months ago. Tires are good and Eveything is tight minus the slight slack in the wheel and shaft going into the front diff.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Replace the part(s) you know are bad(wheel bearing) and go from there.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:25 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something you could try to help narrow it down;

Start the truck, and while parked, have a buddy oscillate the steering wheel back and forth just slightly. While he's doing that, you trace the entire system looking for any joints or shafts that have play in them.

Don't stick your hand anywhere it'll get caught or squished. Also, I'd fix the wheel bearings regardless.

Quick Reply: Front end makes thump noise and I can feel it in the steering