Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should I tow this?

Old 12-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Captain

Vehicle: Lifted 1998 ram 1500 318 4x4
Default Should I tow this?

I have to drive 7 hours away to pick up a vehicle. The truck weighs 4500-4700lbs and will be loaded onto a dolly and then towed home. "Should" I use my truck to do this? Having a hard time finding someone with a bigger truck. I'm within my tow capacity it's just a pretty far drive.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
5 inch skyjacker suspension & 3 inch body lift, 315/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Pro Comp rock crawler wheels, Spectra CAI, 4.56 gears, Fastman 50mm tb, Pacesettler headers, Hughes Deep Aluminum Transmission Pan, SCT Tuner
Old 12-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Champion

Vehicle: 01 Ram 1500 4x4
Mr Lambman

Depends on how well maintained you keep your truck. What kinda shape is it in?

No overdrive at all if you do
Old 12-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Legend

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 4x2 360V8

You be fine.

Just keep out of overdrive as Ham Bone said.

Give extra distance to stop when needed and don't get in any hurry.

As usual with any long trip check and top off all fluids as needed, keep a bottle of two of anything if it leaks, oil, etc.....
Old 12-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Bone View Post
Depends on how well maintained you keep your truck. What kinda shape is it in?

No overdrive at all if you do
Mechanically she's in pretty good shape.
5 inch skyjacker suspension & 3 inch body lift, 315/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Pro Comp rock crawler wheels, Spectra CAI, 4.56 gears, Fastman 50mm tb, Pacesettler headers, Hughes Deep Aluminum Transmission Pan, SCT Tuner
Old 12-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500

Using a dolley, or trailer?

Either way, you should be ok. As stated, (twice..) don't use Overdrive. Be safe, keep in mind you are trying to stop twice your usual weight..... If you can get a car hauler, with surge brakes, go that route. (U-Haul rents them pretty cheap, 25 bucks a day or so.)
Old 12-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Using a dolley, or trailer?

Either way, you should be ok. As stated, (twice..) don't use Overdrive. Be safe, keep in mind you are trying to stop twice your usual weight..... If you can get a car hauler, with surge brakes, go that route. (U-Haul rents them pretty cheap, 25 bucks a day or so.)
We are renting a dolley. Don't think the local U-Haul has a car hauler but I will check.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yeah, try and get the trailer.... if you have to use the dolly, put the front wheels on it, disconnect the rear driveshaft, and tie it up out of the way. (and make SURE it will stay where you put it.) That will keep it from leaking out the end of the trans, (or, t-case, as the case may be) and you won't be spinning all those parts.

If its 4x4, you could conceivably just put the t-case in neutral, if its 2wd, you MUST remove the rear shaft, or, you won't have a trans left by the time you get home.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Yeah, try and get the trailer.... if you have to use the dolly, put the front wheels on it, disconnect the rear driveshaft, and tie it up out of the way. (and make SURE it will stay where you put it.) That will keep it from leaking out the end of the trans, (or, t-case, as the case may be) and you won't be spinning all those parts.

If its 4x4, you could conceivably just put the t-case in neutral, if its 2wd, you MUST remove the rear shaft, or, you won't have a trans left by the time you get home.
I've used a dolley in the past and typically we just take off the driveshaft. You make a good point though I've never thought of fluid leaking by the t case. Thanks for the tip
Old 12-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Veteran

Vehicle: 2010 ram

When flat towing you can let the vehicle being towed run in neutral, that will allow the transmission to circulate fluid through the cooler to prevent overheating as heyyou advised.
It's not ideal for regular towing of course, but if you don't feel comfortable connecting disconnecting the driveshaft it's an option.
My guess is idling for 7 hrs wouldnt burn more than 20-30 dollars in fuel.
Is the other truck in running condition? Maybe take a friend and have them drive the other truck back if possible?
Good luck and merry christmas
Old 12-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdculus View Post
When flat towing you can let the vehicle being towed run in neutral, that will allow the transmission to circulate fluid through the cooler to prevent overheating as heyyou advised.
It's not ideal for regular towing of course, but if you don't feel comfortable connecting disconnecting the driveshaft it's an option.
My guess is idling for 7 hrs wouldnt burn more than 20-30 dollars in fuel.
Is the other truck in running condition? Maybe take a friend and have them drive the other truck back if possible?
Good luck and merry christmas
That's just the trouble though, when flat towed in neutral, the trans pump is NOT running, and you will smoke the trans in relatively short order.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:47 PM