2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shaking when braking - brand new pads and rotors..

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Well, so much for that thought.

Then it's down to the butt dyno. If you feel it thru the steering, its the front, if you feel it thru the seat, it's the back.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:53 PM
RareColorRam1995
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the late update guys, but better late than never I guess. Finally braved the sleet and ice and jacked the truck up and ran to AutoZone with my 'grooved out of the box' rotor in hand. Swapped it for one that had the smooth non directional finish on it like the driver's side had. Installed it, bled the brakes, torqued the wheels to spec, topped off my master cylinder, and went for my test drive. Problem solved! So, moral of the story.. open your rotor boxes at the parts store on the counter. Make sure they are both baby butt smooth and don't have "looks like on purpose" grooves in it. Thanks guys! Hope this post helps someone.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 PM
JRedRam
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I wonder if the grooved rotor was not properly surfaced by the manufacturer. THAT would give you a shimmy. I would be tempted to yank that one, and swap it out. See if that doesn't solve the issue. This is also one of the reasons I cut even new rotors before installation.
I agree. I'd swap one out and double check everything is on tightly but correctly.

Quick Reply: Shaking when braking - brand new pads and rotors..