2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

starting problems..

Old 01-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Cbowes
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting problems..

98 3.9L

so a couple weeks ago after a heavy rain my truck would not start at all I could only get a crank position sensor at the closest autozone they had nothing else in stock.. didn't fix it.. next day it started up just fine like it never had a problem.. couple days ago it did the same thing so i looked at cap and it was dry but everything else around it was basically drenched so i bought new cap new rotor and (on VERY windy and clear days) left hood open against wind for about 2 days no change.. bought new wires and plugs.. no change.. new cam sensor.. nothing.. getting spark, getting good fuel pressure.. truck was running just fine before it quit on me no gas mileage problem or anything.. have checked firing order repeatedly have pulled negative cable checked coil it's getting spark.. i'm basically out of ideas here and i need some help.. could the coil still be bad even though it's getting spark? also would my timing just randomly be off like that even though it was running the day before it quit just like always? at least when i get it running it's gonna be running like a champ even more so!! it is also burping pretty hard and will backfire if i hold pedal to floor..... please help! much appreciated

Old 01-14-2014, 09:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

What is fuel pressure at? Do you have a gauge? (should be 49psi at the rail.) Are you getting injector pulse?

Check spark at the spark plug. if you have a spare one laying around, use that, if not, pull one, ground it really well, and have someone crank the motor. Spark should be fat, and blue. Fat and orange will work as well.. just not as well.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:18 PM
Cbowes
Rookie

I do not have a gauge what I did was press in valve and have someone crank and it is spraying almost out of the hood.. This is my only vehicle unless I can find a ride for now so this is the only way I could check I also stuck screw driver in plug wires and found out the hard way that it's getting spark I will use one of the old plugs like you mentioned how exactly should I use old plug to check instead of getting lit up? Took wire off coil it's fat and blue like you say I'm very limited on special tools unless I find a ride 45 minutes to autozone and rent which would mean finding another ride.. So frustrating.. Sorry I don't have specific answers!

Old 01-14-2014, 09:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Just pull a plug wire off of any cylinder, stick the plug in it, and ground it against the valve cover. Use a screwdriver or something to hold it in place with. (just don't touch the metal part of the screwdriver. )

Sounds like spark isn't the problem though. (do the test anyway.) Might want to turn the engine to top dead center, mark where 1 and 6 are on the distributor body, pull the cap, and see where the rotor is pointing.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Cbowes
Rookie

I really hope it ain't timing I will update with info tomorrow!

Old 01-15-2014, 06:36 PM
Cbowes
Rookie

Couldn't catch a break today and get a ride still no update... Will try tomorrow....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: starting problems..