2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How fast can you go in 4 Wheel Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 04:25 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How fast can you go in 4 Wheel Drive?

Hi, I've got a '97 Dodge Ram Extended cab Sport 4x4 Ram with a 360 and I'm wondering how fast it is capable of going in 4 wheel drive without sustaining damage to the transfer case. Despite what you may or may not think the practicality of the 4x4's speed limit may be regarding conditions its just a question and I do observe & practice safe driving habits and would like to know if I'm harming my transfer case if I increase my speed over 60mph. I may want to do offroad/dirt track racing so it would be nice to know the limits.

I'm asking this question because I do not want to grenade my nice rebuilt transfer case and also because when I want to race I have trouble hooking up even with my posi rear end and 3.55 gears, I slide out sideways and roast my tires like no tomorrow. The 360 has got some serious low end ***** what can I say?

Would love to have the traction benefits of 4 wheel drive in a race, but obviously would like to know its speed limit or if it will grenade. I would like to know if I can at least sustain highway speeds of 65-70mph, I've yet to top 55mph with it, but it seems like it'd handle it because its baby smooth at that speed and makes very little noise.

Also is dry pavement really all that bad for 4x4's? heck even rainy wet pavement? I've only ever had it in 4x4 on loose surfaces.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 02-07-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:43 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been to 55-60 mph for several minutes without any problems. Other than that I can't say.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

As long as you are on a surface that isn't going to damage the transfer case you can go as fast as the vehicle will go. I drive 70 MPH on snow covered roads for 50-60 miles with no issues. If the roads are dry and do not allow slippage between the front & rear axles you can damage the transfer case. Also since our Dodge trucks don't have hubs on the front axle you can shift from 2wd to 4wd HI range as long as your vacuum disconnect is working properly. With an auto tranny you need to slip the tranny into neutral before you try to slip the transfer case between 2&4wd. On a manual tranny you just need to push in the clutch.

I hope that helps some. You also can't go over about 40 MPH in 4 LO.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:25 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Only need to shift to neutral (EDIT: at a stop) for 4Lo. I always just let off the gas to shift from 2-4Hi or 4Hi-2. Never had any problems.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:35 AM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on dry services i highly suggest you not go around tight corners or anything, i broke both u-joints in the front end.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:39 PM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Speed in 4WD is the same as 2WD.
There is no difference to the truck and unless your driving on dry asphalt nothing will happen.
But 4WD at ANY SPEED on dry asphalt is not good.
If you want to go 100mph for 500 miles. Go ahead.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:27 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, as fast as you want.
Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
As long as you are on a surface that isn't going to damage the transfer case you can go as fast as the vehicle will go. I drive 70 MPH on snow covered roads for 50-60 miles with no issues. If the roads are dry and do not allow slippage between the front & rear axles you can damage the transfer case. Also since our Dodge trucks don't have hubs on the front axle you can shift from 2wd to 4wd HI range as long as your vacuum disconnect is working properly. With an auto tranny you need to slip the tranny into neutral before you try to slip the transfer case between 2&4wd. On a manual tranny you just need to push in the clutch.

I hope that helps some. You also can't go over about 40 MPH in 4 LO.
You don't have to put the tranny in nuetral or push in the clutch to shift between 2 and 4 hi, just let off the throttle.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by RDuck
...If you want to go 100mph for 500 miles. Go ahead.
I want to know what size tank does he has
I could barely get 400mile off a tank when my truck was new... let alone driving at 100mph (from memory it only makes 98mph max) and in 4WD.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:47 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
IMO, as fast as you want.

You don't have to put the tranny in nuetral or push in the clutch to shift between 2 and 4 hi, just let off the throttle.

Well I guess you're more coordinated than me cause I have found with a manual tranny I needed to push the clutch in. Because if I was just letting off the pedal I am now coasting which is still putting pressure on the output shaft and would cause a little grind in the t-case. Now with the auto yes I have been able to just let off the pedal and shift but my wife has to put her Jeep into neutral to shift or she grinds. So you can try it first in drive and if you get grinding then shift into neutral. Not a big deal. Never thought I would get so many people correcting me either................ ;-)

As others have said the big thing is do NOT drive in 4WD on a dry surface at anytime as it can cause major issues with your rig. I have seen t-cases split in half because of it getting bound up from being driven on a dry surface. Another thing is don't force the shifter at anytime. Doesn't matter if your shifting into or out of 4WD do not force it. If you do you'll end up bending the shift fork or rails.

Last edited by Wildman4x4nut; 02-07-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:03 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Just be careful and make sure the roads are wet/slippery. Even a simple thing like minor difference in tire sizes can cause driveline bind and grenade the transfer case.

Quick Reply: How fast can you go in 4 Wheel Drive?