2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Let us know how the test turns out.

Have you tried adjusting the TV cable??

Old 02-20-2014, 11:08 PM
mrau92me
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Let us know how the test turns out.

Have you tried adjusting the TV cable??
I put a new one on it last year...I found a kink in the old one (I think the dog was responsible for that too)

Old 02-28-2014, 11:54 PM
mrau92me
Rookie

If you don't already have one, grab the 96 service manual from the Service Manual thread in the faq section. Have a look at the wiring diagrams, and check the circuits for the governor pressure sensor, and solenoid. Just do a continuity check, no need to dig the joints out, unless you don't have continuity. (but, if that were the case, you would have some codes.)

I would be real tempted to pull the pan, drop the filter, and see what you find..... maybe even clean out the valve body..... (though that is a jigsaw puzzle....) adjust the bands?
I can't seem to find the right faq section...I click on the FAQ link above but don't see anything about a Service Manual thread. Will it be any different than my Haynes Manual. I'm hoping to finally do the continuity check tomorrow.

BTW, I did get 3 codes that showed up on my scanner, but I assume they were result of that test in which I drove it without the main connector plugged in. I reset them.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:06 PM
mrau92me
Rookie

In case it matters, after I ran the test with the case connector disconnected, we had driven it a few times before I checked the codes. The screenshot I took on my tablet of the codes I got (I use the Torque app) shows the following:

P0753 Shift Solenoid "A" Electrical
P0713 Transmission Fluid Temp Sensor Circuit High Input
P1763 (it said to tap for multiple descriptions)

BTW, I'm assuming I disconnect the battery when doing the continuity test? But, are there any tests I can/should do with the battery connected?

Old 03-01-2014, 03:26 PM
mrau92me
Rookie

Let us know how the test turns out...
OK, below is the test result of the gov solenoid continuity check. For giggles, I also did a check of the other two solenoids.

Gov pressure solenoid: 4.0 ohms
TCC solenoid: 31.7 ohms
OD solenoid: 31.9 ohms

So, the resistances are pretty much nominal, which, I believe, means that my wiring & solders are all good.

So, what now? I read somewhere that 2nd gear starts with gear selector in D mean either a bad gov pressure sensor or could mean a stuck 1 - 2 shift valve.

Last edited by mrau92me; 03-01-2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: fix a brain fart mistake
Old 03-01-2014, 03:57 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrau92me
I can't seem to find the right faq section...I click on the FAQ link above but don't see anything about a Service Manual thread. Will it be any different than my Haynes Manual. I'm hoping to finally do the continuity check tomorrow.

BTW, I did get 3 codes that showed up on my scanner, but I assume they were result of that test in which I drove it without the main connector plugged in. I reset them.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html

Old 03-03-2014, 02:22 PM
mrau92me
Rookie

OK, so my wife volunteered on Saturday afternoon that she noticed when she starts the truck up first thing in the morning, then backs out of the driveway (no warm-up), when she first puts the selector in D, it will start off in 1st gear, but thereafter, it reverts to the 2nd gear starts.

I tested this myself for repeatability on Sunday morning and got the same result, except I noticed that it shifted into 2nd gear way early (if I had to say, at about half the RPMs that it normally should). It then reverted back to 2nd gear starts.

Does this confirm that the 1 - 2 shift valve is NOT stuck? Does it confirm a bad gov pressure sensor? On the cold start, has the pressure not built up in the trannie such that the sensor has not started sending erroneous (high) pressure signals to the PCM? Should I now just purchase the pressure sensor and the Borg Warner governor pressure solenoid and install them?

Old 03-03-2014, 03:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

I think you can get the solenoid set for about 100 bucks from ElectricalAdvanage on EBay. Probably wouldn't hurt to replace those, and adjust the bands.... along with fluid/filter change. Will it fix the problem? I can give you a definite *maybe*.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:26 PM
mrau92me
Rookie

Before I order that set, I think I'm going to run by the shop that rebuilt it tomorrow morning and see if they'll hook up to it and get the pressure readings from the gov press sensor.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:09 PM
mrau92me
Rookie

Eureka!! Went by the shop this morning but they're shorthanded, couldn't hook up right then, so I drove to work bummed. I was really bummed because the truck was now even starting off in 2nd gear with the selector at 1. I had my OBD2 reader w/ me and kept scanning for codes and got nothing after 2 times. But, then when I got to work, I decided to drive across the parking lot & scan one more time. YES!! I got the P1756 code.

So, is it confirmed, replace the gov pressure solenoid and sensor??

Quick Reply: Transmission