2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

check engine light/no codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 PM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question check engine light/no codes

The check engine light came on while driving into head wind. when I got to my destination I did the key 3 times and it came up p done. The light stayed on so stopped and used the parts sore code reader and it came up with no dtc code stored in computer at this time. So I erased the light. Are there some codes that require a more sophisticated reader? I know my plenum leak is getting worse, one quart in 1660 miles. Doing the plate fix next week.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

CEL should only come on when there are codes to be read. Any reader should be able to get them. Not sure what's going on there, but, something is awry.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:34 PM
ReadRam
All Star

My 99 actually spelled the words "check engine light". This is on my 01 and they use a symbol of a small motor, best I can tell. I am correct in assuming the symbol is the check engine light, since I was able to erase it, right? Part of the dumbing down process.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Its those multilingual international symbols they use for folks that can't read english. In America..... hhhmmm........

Old 02-22-2014, 09:06 AM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be the transmission setting the code and the scanner isn't picking it up. Some part stores use really cheap OBDII scanners that only pull engine codes, but the transmission will illuminate that light also.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:09 AM
ReadRam
All Star
Default No codes again

Happened again today on the way after work. CEL came on, but there were no power train codes or freeze frame data. Did the key trick and just got p done. Borrowed cheap code reader at parts store and got no codes, but the the light is still on. Leaving it on until finding a better scan tool to see what's up.
Anybody have a CEL light with no codes?

Old 05-07-2014, 11:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

May be a problem with the cluster..... getting confused as to when to turn on the light.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:32 AM
jmhd1989
Veteran

Not sure if the systems are the same but Harleys have current codes and historic codes. When you plug in to the digital tech(dealer only software) there are two different categories. If what is setting off the code is temporary it could fall under a historic code and is why the code reader doesn't show anything because it searches for current codes. Like i said not sure if they are the same systems but its a long shot theory.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:48 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Had shop check it with a mac and it showed 2 codes , small evap leak and the other it wouldn't give the code. I don't want to go to the dealer but may have to.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:15 PM
ReadRam
All Star

CEL is still coming on at random. I've used three different scan tools, a couple were capable of reading live data and no codes were present. Last night I pulled the injector harness off #4 to force a CEL, which it did. I did get a code for injector circuit, so at least I know the PCM will detect an actual problem. But it's coming on every few hundred miles recently, with no codes.
As far as driveability, it does seem to be more nimble after I reset the PCM, but it could be my imagination.
Anyone have a similar issue? It comes on while accelerating to highway speed. Twice on the same exit, months apart.

Quick Reply: check engine light/no codes