2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Parking brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 04:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

You only have RWAL right? Try replacing the sensor on top of the rear differential. (skip the dorman unit, get something better quality.)

Old 03-18-2014, 05:28 PM
jholaway1971
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See that is the problem I already changed the rear ABS sensor on top of rear end and it was an AIP brand, I really have no clue if my truck has a RWAL ? I think that means rear ABS only ? I didn't know which system I have so I was looking at front ABS sensors and they are really pricey and I can't seem to find one for the front drivers side, only available for front passenger side. Is there a way to test these sensors to see which one is bad if I actually do have front ABS sensors

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...280&cc=1354148

Old 03-20-2014, 03:49 PM
jholaway1971
Rookie

Well I just back from my local mechanics repair shop and they hooked the ABS scanner up to my truck and found no error codes or any other problems with my braking system. He was at a loss why the light was on and he tried to reset the ABS and brake light and it wouldn't reset. I asked about front ABS sensors and he informed me that there are no front ABS sensors on my truck just a rear ABS system. I also asked about the main ABS module if there could be a problem with it and he was like well there is a possibility but I wouldn't waste money changing that because they are fairly expensive. He did offer to keep the truck for a few days and go through the whole electrical system to see why the light was on but there was no guarantee that he could find the problem. His honest opinion was to ignore the lights and just drive the truck. I now know why the bulbs were missing in the dash.

Now with that info does anyone have any suggestions of what I could check or should I just say hell with the lights in the dash and just drive the truck ?

Old 03-20-2014, 06:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

RWAL=Rear Wheel Anti-lock brakes.

4WAL=Four wheel anti-lock brakes.

You will only have the front sensors if you have 4WAL.

99% of the time, if the ABS lite is on on a RWAL system, it's that rear wheel speed sensor, or possibly the brake switch. RWAL system only has the dump valve, its all controlled by the PCM, so, no real "module" on yours. Dump valves seldom fail. (its just two solenoids after all....)

Never heard of AIP...... and it wouldn't be the first time I got a bum part right out of the box....

Old 03-20-2014, 11:38 PM
jholaway1971
Rookie

But I have no trouble with my speedometer under 20 mph and according to the mechanic he said there were no trouble codes at all to clear or check. I could go buy another rear ABS sensor and see if that will do the trick but I don't think they are returnable if you install them.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:44 PM
jholaway1971
Rookie

I also found a way to check the system: with the key on, holding down the odometer reset while I turn the ignition off and on 3 times. The odometer will read "check" that is when you let off the reset button and it will go through with running a self diagnostic test on all the systems including the gauges, tach and speedometer but that doesn't solve my ABS or Brake warning lights that are on.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That only tests the cluster, and the bulbs.

If you have a scanner that can read real time data, have a look at what the speed sensor is telling the PCM.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:12 AM
jholaway1971
Rookie

I wish I did have a Dodge OBDII scanner to do that but unfortunately the scanner I do have is for Fords and I don't think there is a way to rig some sort of makeshift plug.

I guess I should one day bite the bullet and invest in a good OBDII scanner for my Dodge so I don't have all this guess work in figuring out when my truck decides to go bananas

Old 09-29-2014, 06:32 PM
bigaaron
Professional

did this problem ever get solved?

Quick Reply: Parking brake problems