2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum gasket causing loss of oil?

Old 03-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chrysler states 100PSI minimum. All cylinders need to be within 10% of each other. That's the most important.

For reference I had 150 across the board at 200k miles

Old 03-18-2014, 06:44 PM
Brandontenold
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandontenold
After finding out dad doesn't have a tester, ( I found his next birthday gift) Did some calling around and found one. I'll check and find some marginal test numbers for the 360 and get back to you all. (Finally a good excuse to clean my plugs)
Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Chrysler states 100PSI minimum. All cylinders need to be within 10% of each other. That's the most important.

For reference I had 150 across the board at 200k miles
What was your oil usage like?

Old 03-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Snowfan
Professional

My 5.9 is original as far as I can tell. 240,000 miles. Dry compression 160-165. Runs excellent and zero to 1/2 qt oil missing at 5k intervals.

Needs head gasket and will do plenum, chain and oil pump in a few days. WP is new.

I am stumped as to how my compression and oil use are so good at this mileage.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:56 AM
Brandontenold
Rookie

Originally Posted by Snowfan
My 5.9 is original as far as I can tell. 240,000 miles. Dry compression 160-165. Runs excellent and zero to 1/2 qt oil missing at 5k intervals.

Needs head gasket and will do plenum, chain and oil pump in a few days. WP is new.

I heard mileage took a dive after the death flash to "fix" the pinging caused by a bad plenum. I had a very good increase in gas mileage after plugs and wires, opening throttle body, and driving a little more careful.. I can drive fill up plum full, and as long as I drive like a old grandma, the gas gauge won't move until I hit 100 miles.. My farthest instance gone on one tank is 300 miles. Not bad.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandontenold
I heard mileage took a dive after the death flash to "fix" the pinging caused by a bad plenum. I had a very good increase in gas mileage after plugs and wires, opening throttle body, and driving a little more careful.. I can drive fill up plum full, and as long as I drive like a old grandma, the gas gauge won't move until I hit 100 miles.. My farthest instance gone on one tank is 300 miles. Not bad.
On a 26 gallon tank, that is only slightly better than 10 MPG......

Old 03-19-2014, 10:02 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
On a 26 gallon tank, that is only slightly better than 10 MPG......
Yup. Gotta hit 300 around 20 gallons to hit 15mpg......

Old 03-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowfan

The magnum engines have a pretty solid bottom end. Could probably pop the heads off and have perfect cylinders.

Apparently the old LAs would be shot by 100k, cylinder scoring and low compression. Of course everything back then had terrible tolerances. And our trucks are old and obsolete compared to the new regulations

Old 03-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Brandontenold
Rookie

Originally Posted by stewie01
Yup. Gotta hit 300 around 20 gallons to hit 15mpg......
Exactly what I was told I'd get at the best for a 360.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:19 PM
Brandontenold
Rookie

Attempted to do a test last night, but ruined three plug wires because I was being stupid and didn't twist them off and then pull them. I'm also noticing my oil consumption isn't as bad after a new battery, and I've been driving a little less agressive. I topped it off 300 miles ago and it's still just over the safe mark. I was also told if I had bad rings, I'd lose a lot of oil pressure. My pressure is really good.. Stays within the normal scale.

I'm going to leave it alone. For now.

This weekend the plenum goes in. I've been doing a pile of research, I'm buying some seafoam and I'm going to let the plate soak In it, and run a can thru the intake when I'm done. Just hoping nothing is brittle and ends up breaking.. My parts truck was tipped over so I can get the T-case.. And I can't get to it with the 3 inches of mud we have if I break something.

Sooo... Anyone give me the torque specs for the TTY bolts and the plate bolts?

Old 03-19-2014, 12:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Rings have nothing to do with oil pressure. That's all bearings and such. Rings are just oil consumption.

Grab the 01 service manual from the faq section, there is a torque sequence you must follow on the intake, it is listed in there. (along with torque specs.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Plenum gasket causing loss of oil?