2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leaking coolant...smell gas

Old 04-04-2014, 02:05 PM
Libertarian Ray
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking coolant...smell gas

1996 Ddoge Ram 1500 SLT 5.2 4 wheel drive w/ about 105,000 miles.

Did a new water pump about a month ago which you folk helped me with. Noticed smell of coolant the other day. Popped hood but could not see where coolant was coming from although it was a little wet. Sprayed a little and some was on passenger side wheel well and a little on the front of the pump. Had to top off the overflow container a little. Could not locate leak. Drove home...no problems. Later popped hood and had someone run it at 3500 rpms for a few minutes while I sat and watched. Nothing.

Drove it after that with no problems but did not ice a bit of coolant smell the other day but could not find anything wet..

Today I smelled a pretty strong smell of gas after driving a few miles and clsoe to my destination. Parked it and looked under truck and saw coolant leaking...a good bit but nothing crazy. Popped hood and belt was all wet, some water by the starter and water dripping down underneath the engine under and behind water pump. Could smell gas but could not see where coolant is coming, just dripping underneath engine behind water pump. So wet on belt, and in front and underneath. Went into the store and upon coming out and walking by where I drove, I could smell some gas. Looked down and it looked like some wetness where I had driven but not absolutely sure.

Drove home, popped hood and not leaking at all again. Belt seemed to have dried off, more rusty kind of spots on front of water pump although coolant is green and not rusty. Temperature running fine although it did go lower than normal at one point. The front fan and pulley are tight. There was some coolant loss although some still in the overflow. Exhaust completely clear but did not seem to be coming out very strong. Engine is running just fine, no noise or anything like that. Cannot speak to gas mileage but seems no issue there.

Anyone have any ideas? Pulling the few hairs I have left out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:26 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all your hoses fine from when you replaced the water pump? Was it a reman water pump? Sometimes when you get those they'll last awhile then leak again. I avoid them. As for the gas smell, check your injectors, fuel rail, fuel line that comes into the rail, anything that is associated with raw gas.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Libertarian Ray
Amateur

Thanks for your reply chrome. Was a new water pump, I think duralast. All the hoses look good. Coolant nice green. Radiator cap and reservoir clean. Only needed to top off when leaked. Oil cap clean. Oil a bit dirty and could use a change but looks good and not milky nor any water. Reading threads got me concerned about head gaskets but don't think that is a problem. Is there an easy way to get that tested and does anyone know if autozone can do that for ya?

Have had problems with number 8 spark plug and burning oil in cylinder 8 according to former mechanic who I won't go to again but have not had to add any oil at any point since then (several months now) and again level fine. He also told me the valve covers were leaking a little oil which I can see is the case but still don't need to add oil and the only issue is an odor once in a while when it drips onto manifold occasionally. Could the valve cover issue cause an odor of gas?

From what I read, guess I am thinking maybe the timing chain gasket? OR maybe new pump is going bad and coming out of weep holes since the problem is intermittent? Or the WP gasket is an issue but would think that would be continuous problem, not intermittent.

Was also wondering about the plenum with the #8 spark plug and had been researching possibly doing that job. Have to pull the pvc valve and take a good look and don't think that was ever replaced although it is possible. Have had it a long time. Only bringing these issues up because I have to do the valve cover gaskets anyway and am thinking whatever i got to do I want to do at the same time. Also been studying the be all to end all plenum thread which is awesome.

When I opened door to truck last time out to check oil, the cab smelled a strong gas odor after sitting a few hours. Will have to get out there Sunday and give a good look over gas lines like you suggested as it is damp and looking like some rain out there now. Have added fuel cleaner twice in last few months.

Thinking the coolant and gas problems are unrelated but if anyone thinks otherwise, would appreciate any advice or thoughts.

Last edited by Libertarian Ray; 04-04-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:01 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Libertarian Ray
Thanks for your reply chrome. Was a new water pump, I think duralast. All the hoses look good. Coolant nice green. Radiator cap and reservoir clean. Only needed to top off when leaked. Oil cap clean. Oil a bit dirty and could use a change but looks good and not milky nor any water. Reading threads got me concerned about head gaskets but don't think that is a problem. Is there an easy way to get that tested and does anyone know if autozone can do that for ya?

Have had problems with number 8 spark plug and burning oil in cylinder 8 according to former mechanic who I won't go to again but have not had to add any oil at any point since then (several months now) and again level fine. He also told me the valve covers were leaking a little oil which I can see is the case but still don't need to add oil and the only issue is an odor once in a while when it drips onto manifold occasionally. Could the valve cover issue cause an odor of gas?

From what I read, guess I am thinking maybe the timing chain gasket? OR maybe new pump is going bad and coming out of weep holes since the problem is intermittent? Or the WP gasket is an issue but would think that would be continuous problem, not intermittent.

Was also wondering about the plenum with the #8 spark plug and had been researching possibly doing that job. Have to pull the pvc valve and take a good look and don't think that was ever replaced although it is possible. Have had it a long time. Only bringing these issues up because I have to do the valve cover gaskets anyway and am thinking whatever i got to do I want to do at the same time. Also been studying the be all to end all plenum thread which is awesome.

When I opened door to truck last time out to check oil, the cab smelled a strong gas odor after sitting a few hours. Will have to get out there Sunday and give a good look over gas lines like you suggested as it is damp and looking like some rain out there now. Have added fuel cleaner twice in last few months.

Thinking the coolant and gas problems are unrelated but if anyone thinks otherwise, would appreciate any advice or thoughts.
Well, if you haven't done the plenum, I would suggest getting that done sometime soon. Oil on #8 is prime evidence it's bad. While you're doing that, it'll be pretty easy to get to your WP again and timing cover (cover could be a leaking point as you said). While you have the timing cover off, if funds allow, replace the timing chain with double roller chain and sprockets. I applied a bit of RTV to both sides of my TC and WP gaskets just as extra insurance. If nothing else just keep monitoring your levels, see what happens. And no, oil on hot exhaust won't give off a gas smell, it'll smell like hot burning oil

Old 04-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Libertarian Ray
Amateur
Default Oh yeah....leaking gas for sure

Well could not find the leak but today it found me. It is running down the sides of the gas tank and not driveable although I did get it home. Pretty bad actually.

Clearly the tank will need to be dropped and hoping it is just the line or a connection and not the fuel pump. Don't think it is the tank as it is coming form up top and there was not much gas in the tank. Continues to leak for a spell after stopping but then eventually stops...thinking it is due to some pressure in there.

Will be researching the forum at this point and some other things and hoping this is something I will be able to do myself. If anyone knows of a specific thread you think would be helpful, I'd appreciate the heads up. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

My guess would be the connector for the line going up to the fuel rail. If you crawl up under there, you may not even need to drop the tank. Not sure how much room is there though..... Fortunately, there isn't much gas in the tank, so, it won't be real heavy. Keep in mind though, even when the lite on the gauge comes on, there is still six gallons of gas in there.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Libertarian Ray
Amateur

Thanks guys. Could not see anything and could not possibly fix anything in any event. Nuts on tank straps are rusted terribly an I've no compressor/airgun or breaker bar. Just P'Blastereed it and will let it sit for a bit. If I still can't get it then, I will go get a loan a tool breaker from autozone which should be enough to get them off. I'd be nervous about using any compressor ratchet anyway because of the gas.

My question is: I want to remove the straps, drop tank down to where I can see, replace battery cable and fuel pump relay, and then prime the fuel pump to see if I can see where it is leaking from before I remove it. Anyone see a problem with doing that?

Old 04-12-2014, 04:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Clean them off with a wire brush first, then hit 'em with chems a couple times over a few hours. Then they should come off *fairly* easily.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Libertarian Ray
Amateur

Duh. Took back driver side wheel well liner off because I was having trouble getting off hoses off fuel neck. Yeah...and could clearly see pump. So I connected the neg bat cable, out in FP relay and primed it. Was able to get the nuts on the tank straps loose with HeyYou's advice.

The fuel line connection is right there on the wheel side of the pump. The fuel line just below the fitting for the pump is cracked and spraying quite a bit of gas. So I need a new fuel line/ fitting for sure.

Anything I should consider on a new line? Cannot really see where it goes after down side of the tank. Is this something I might be able to do without pulling out the tank? Looking for diagrams and parts now. Thanks.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

There might be a diagram in the factory service manual. (available for download in the faq section here.)

I would check out the full length of the line, so if there is anything special about it, aside from the connectors, and then replace the whole thing with steel...... (fat brake line. will last longer than the rest of the truck. )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking coolant...smell gas