2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Radio and associated circuit problems-fuses and power

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 06:06 PM
soup1967
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Radio and associated circuit problems-fuses and power

I've read most (if not all) of the threads related to radio power problems. Here's the explanation of my problem:

Out of nowhere, my radio stopped working. Then I noticed that the interior lights (all) and "key in ignition" buzzer wasn't working either. Checked wiring schematics and found (of course) the buzzer, interior lights and radio are on the same fused circuit, this being the I.O.D. fuse/circuit.

So replaced fuse (15 amp) and lights and buzzer worked just fine. Radio has power (time on face of it lit up as normal, but as soon as I hit the power button for radio, fused popped again. So, pulled radio, then replaced fuse. Lights and buzzer worked fine. Now I hooked the radio connectors up, heard the power go thru unit (cd player engages temporarily as normal) and the time lights up on the face.

Now the interesting part. Pushed the power button (fuse didn't blow this time) but the power seemed intermittent. Interior lights, buzzer and radio face lights seemed to get partial power. It actually sounded similar having a turn signal (clicking with a consistent and "timed" click) with the buzzer and interior lights keeping time.

So, any suggestions? Haven't gone through the radio wiring harness (yet), but I'm thinking maybe a partially shaved power wire or ground wire.

Please help! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

Old 04-13-2014, 06:45 PM
djbucky3
Captain

When i got my truck I had an almost similar issue. Though it was mostly with the radio itself skipping out and not as much with the lights n buzzer (though they would dim at times). The guy before me had decided that grounding the radio was overrated and had not done anything at all. After awhile i figured out.. Through some testing, that my radio was trying to ground itself through my antenna. Once i found a proper ground everything worked out fine. So my best adviced would be yes to check the wiring harness for power and ground issues. Start simple..

Old 04-13-2014, 07:12 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by soup1967
.......snip..........

So, any suggestions? Haven't gone through the radio wiring harness (yet), but I'm thinking maybe a partially shaved power wire or ground wire.
I agree. Either a wire is shorting in the harness somewhere or inside the radio. Was the harness pinched behind the radio? Does the connector fit well in the back of the radio? Have you done any work in the dash previously?

Old 04-15-2014, 07:55 PM
djbucky3
Captain

A majority of wiring issues comes from a bad ground, and for the most part its one of the easiest things to check.

Quick Reply: Radio and associated circuit problems-fuses and power