2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering stabilizer ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:56 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is a one way conversation.
Like myself who knows they are doing they're job there are others, like you fellows who know they're pointless.
This could go on forever.
This is a because I said so argument.
You guys argue they're pointless but factory installs them and even some of you use them to help control the steering but argue they're is issues with steering if you need them.
Finally you've agreed after calling me names but still disagree on what you yourselves have just stated.
They do a job. They help control steering jars when hitting obstacles.
If your steering is jarring then you have the issues you yourselves said need to be fixed.
My discussion on them is simple. As I have stated. They do the job they are designed to do and do not cover up underlying issues. They help control steering as part of a complete system.
Certainly, some vehicles do not require them. Some do.
Point is they do do they're job when used as intended for a intended purpose.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:48 AM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RDuck
I know this is a one way conversation.
Like myself who knows they are doing they're job there are others, like you fellows who know they're pointless.
This could go on forever.
This is a because I said so argument.
You guys argue they're pointless but factory installs them and even some of you use them to help control the steering but argue they're is issues with steering if you need them.
Finally you've agreed after calling me names but still disagree on what you yourselves have just stated.
They do a job. They help control steering jars when hitting obstacles.
If your steering is jarring then you have the issues you yourselves said need to be fixed.
My discussion on them is simple. As I have stated. They do the job they are designed to do and do not cover up underlying issues. They help control steering as part of a complete system.
Certainly, some vehicles do not require them. Some do.
Point is they do do they're job when used as intended for a intended purpose.
lol jarring when hitting a pothole is not a steering issue it is a hitting a pothole issue. they do cover up issues 100% when trucks come in to my shop with steering issues that are hard to locate i pull the stabilizer and do a road test. i cant speak for others but i am an experienced mechanic i know what im talking about. you are mistaken do a little research

Old 04-20-2014, 08:55 AM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

Lmao. Sure thing.
But not every issue is caused by something being wrong.
Sometimes it just is what it is. If you can rebuild everything and still have a problem and something can help then its not useless as you guys have said.
Point is Steering stabilizers are used for a reason. Not a bandaid.
They are part of a complete system.
You guys can argue that all you want and call me stupid and uninformed. I do not really care.
The way you fellows argue their invalid and that its a cover up for other problems is completely wrong.
You know this as you yourselves have given reasons why they are used.
Yes, they cushion steering jolt. If not in place the jolt can become uncontrollable to the point of a very bad wobble at highway speeds.
Like a shock on the suspension. Hit a bump without one.
Your suspension has gravity and springs fighting against each other that's what causes the extended bounce after hitting a bump. Your steering will not go in to a steering wobble after hitting a bump unless you have something worn out. unless you are not holding the steering wheel. lol

Old 04-20-2014, 04:19 PM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. You guys are unreal.
Ok. I can see you dont get it.
Its ok. Not everyone does. Some people are not open to more than one way of thinking.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:12 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

Wow. You guys are unreal.
Ok. I can see you dont get it.
Its ok. Not everyone does. Some people are not open to more than one way of thinking.
if real facts are brought to the table i am open to thinking bout it. but all of my professional experience proves you wrong

Old 04-20-2014, 05:33 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On our power assisted trucks all they really do is dampen steering response and feedback. Not like there is much there anyway.

Now go back to non power steering setups and not having a stabilizer could very well break your thumbs off.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:15 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Only place where I've missed a steering stabilizer, is when I was driving on a rocky trail and got hit by steering wheel to fingers if I wasn't careful when going over the rocks. On a road with wide rims and 37x12.5 Creepy Crawlers, truck droves like **** and wanders all over the road, but not even dual stabilizers would cure that. Crawlers aren't road tires, rims have too little BS, and because of 2,5" spacers above front springs with short arm suspension there's too little caster.
On a normal daily driving I have 265/75 tires (yeah, 37" and 3.54 axle gears don't do well, but this truck is more DD than trail ) on stock rims, and there's absolutely zero need for stabilizer! It does wander, but that's because of loose steering box and like already said, too little caster.
And I do know how it feels when things aren't right. I've experienced really bad death wobble, and there were only one thing wrong; too much toe-in. Set it to zero, and never had problems after that.

Quick Reply: Steering stabilizer ?