2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Could old gear oil cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Could old gear oil cause this?

So I've mentioned other threads that my truck doesn't handle well in the snow. (Of course, it's a 2wd, so not a big suprise.) But I noticed the other day I lost traction driving through a puddle.

A.
Freaking.
Puddle.

Now before I would have blamed it on the tires I have, but since the puddle incident I am wondering if it's something else.

I'm wondering if it's possible that the 14 year old oil in the diff is breaking down enough that the LSD isn't engaging, causing it to behave like an open diff.

I know changing the gear oil is part of regular maintenance, but I haven't thought about it until recently and I'm sure the PO never did it (since the plugs I changed when I bought it looked original!)

So when I change the oil here next weekend, should I expect an improvement? Or am I just nuts? Has anybody ever heard of poor LSD performance being related to worn gear oil?

(When I change it, I'll be going with the 75w-140 synthetic walmart brand, cause it's synthetic, but still cheap. I'll also service the diffs on my wife's Durango at the same time.)

Old 04-15-2014, 07:49 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 300 Likes on 284 Posts

How many miles are on your truck? Did that truck come with a limited slip differential, as it was optional. I recently added one to my truck's rear differential, since it did not come with one.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Twmays
Veteran

126k miles, and it came with one according to the build sheet... I haven't opened it up yet to make sure.

It wasn't this bad two years ago during that winter, and I've noticed it more this winter and spring, so to me it seems like something is breaking down...

To be honest, I'm hoping its a simple fluid change and not the clutch packs. But I'm usually not that lucky.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:46 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you add the friction modifier to the diff when you changed oil?
The L/S needs it for the clutches.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 AM
Twmays
Veteran

Haven't changed the oil yet..

Old 04-16-2014, 10:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

inspect when you have the cover off. Clutches and such wear, and the clips that hold things in place like to fall out. Might be time for a rebuild back there. Kits are available, and not too outrageously expensive.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:44 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Twmays
So I've mentioned other threads that my truck doesn't handle well in the snow. (Of course, it's a 2wd, so not a big suprise.) But I noticed the other day I lost traction driving through a puddle.

A.
Freaking.
Puddle.
Was this a water puddle full of oil residue?

Old 04-16-2014, 11:10 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 300 Likes on 284 Posts

If this was a very deep puddle (deep enough to submerge the differential) and water entered into your differential, I would be changing the fluid ASAP.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Twmays
Veteran

No, it wasn't that deep of a puddle, just a street puddle so probably *some* oil residue, but not significant.

I'll inspect everything when I have the cover off, but like everything else on this truck it's probably nearing rebuild time.

I've never worked on a diff before, but found this thread... Does that pretty much cover replacing the clutch packs?

I'm not getting any grinding, whining, squealing, or other indication of bearing failure. Is replacing the clutch packs sufficient?

Old 04-16-2014, 06:55 PM
BigGreenRam
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to do my LSD clutches next week. I found when I changed the oil two parts of the steel from the clutches I have 129000 on my 98 4x4 I work with a guy that's going to do my clutches u don't have to take the carrier out. Just roll the gears out of it that's after u pull the axles and soak the clutches in oil before u put them in 80w90 for LSD diff add the modifier there's a 7oz tube at AZ good luck

Quick Reply: Could old gear oil cause this?