2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diagnosing a problem.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:52 PM
RedTruckDaddy13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Diagnosing a problem.

Hey guys! Sorry I have been gone so long. I have been so busy with work.

In the last month my truck has been done. I have been told its transmission but I want other peoples input. First off, while driving I get to about 35-40MPH and I whines out. I let out of the gas for two seconds and I get back in it and It shifts into second and then it shifts back to first, finally it goes back to second and everything is fine.

Then I started having problems with my ignition switch. It won't go into park, it will only start in neutral. Again I have been told transmission but I am asking for others input. I am getting ready to go to school to become a Automotive Tech and then my transmissions classes. So I am getting there understanding cars. I know a good amount but I am getting there.

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2014, 08:00 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedTruckDaddy13
Hey guys! Sorry I have been gone so long. I have been so busy with work.

In the last month my truck has been done. I have been told its transmission but I want other peoples input. First off, while driving I get to about 35-40MPH and I whines out. I let out of the gas for two seconds and I get back in it and It shifts into second and then it shifts back to first, finally it goes back to second and everything is fine.

Then I started having problems with my ignition switch. It won't go into park, it will only start in neutral. Again I have been told transmission but I am asking for others input. I am getting ready to go to school to become a Automotive Tech and then my transmissions classes. So I am getting there understanding cars. I know a good amount but I am getting there.

Thanks!

if it will not start in park it is the neutral safety switch.

you may be looking at a solenoid in the trans going

Old 04-19-2014, 09:15 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

If you can't get it into park it could be a few things. Like h3lzsn1p3r said it could be your neutral safety switch or it could be that the linkage is out of adjustment. There is a way to adjust the linkage and it explains it in the FSM.

The not shifting could be the valve body, governor or a solenoid going or gone bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diagnosing a problem.