2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Cooler Line Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:24 PM
alaskaguy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Cooler Line Questions

I posted a while ago about a check engine code. It was recommended that I change my transmission cooler line to remove the one way check valve. I ordered a new line and this is what I received:

I do not see how I am able to mount this with the current set up... This is supposed to be a oem product without the check valve, but I am stumped. This may sound dumb but I have not worked with these kind of lines that are both metal/rubber in one. Thanks!

Last edited by alaskaguy; 04-25-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

I think the flare fitting, with the nut, goes on the hard line coming from the trans. (where the check valve is now.) the straight rubber line goes over where the quick-connect is on the radiator, and is secured with a hose clamp.

That said, why that line has that bend in it is a mystery, as far as I remember, the line is pretty much straight at the point anyway......

If it were me.... I would return that, get my money back, buy the quick-connect tool, (which you are going to need anyway) remove the existing line, drill out the check ball, clean it out REALLY well, and put it back on.....

Old 04-24-2014, 10:10 PM
alaskaguy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think about that but the existing hose seems to be dryrotting pretty bad and just needs to be replaced.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Ah, that makes good sense. Having it fail would rather suck.

There are a couple threads in the DIY/FAQ section with options on what to do with that particular bit of hose. Have a look there, and see which one you like the best. Trying to get the hose to go over the lip the quick-connect latches on to is a major pain...... just sliding it up to it, and clamping it, will give it an opportunity to blow itself off..... Rumor has it, you can get the quick-connects by themselves though, and plumb it into some new line. (check the threads, that method is detailed as well.)

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler Line Questions