2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tbi and computer delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:17 PM
marlboromann
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tbi and computer delete

If I'm swapping my 318 from tbi to carb will I still need a computer controlled cam and where can I find long tube headers

Old 04-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you want to remove the fuel injection and replace it with a carb ?.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:19 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

I'll second Ram Driver.........................Why in the world would you want to remove a multiport fuel injection system and put a 1930 designed fuel mixture devise? I'll never understand this desire to take fuel injection off and replace it with a carb.

Long tube headers can be found on Summit or Jegs. And no you won't need a computer controlled cam but remember that you have roller lifters so you can't use regular lifters. Do you have a manual or automatic transmission? If you have a automatic then you will still need your computer.

What year is your truck?
Note: You do not have a TBI system, it is a multiport sequential fuel injection system.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:22 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Gary, whats a carb again???

Old 04-25-2014, 10:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

What year is your truck?

Old 04-25-2014, 10:50 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

first off you do not have TBI you don't have a chev lol, you have MPI multi port fuel injection. what in the world would cause you to want to get less mpg which you will with a carb. the fuel injection systems in these trucks are pretty trouble free with the occasional fuel pump failure

Old 05-07-2014, 10:02 PM
marlboromann
Default tbi

My truck has a tbi not direct port it is a second gen 97 I'm deleting the computer because I can gain more hp with out the hassle of computers and the expense of tuning it or buying a tuner for it carbs are simple and are still used by a lot of people because of my reasons and this is being done to a truck that will never see pavement only mud

Old 05-07-2014, 10:07 PM
marlboromann
Default tbi delete

I can gain 60% more power with a carb and full msd ignition if I dont usethe tbi and comouter, computers fail more times then anything mechanical fuel milleage is none of my concern either I'm only looking for
Power with bolt on

Old 05-07-2014, 11:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

You have port fuel injection. All the second gen trucks did. (except the diesels....) There are no injectors on your throttle body, all it does is meter air, and send a few basic signals to the PCM.

Sure, nuking the EFI, and PCM will allow you to generate more power, but, if you have an automatic trans....... you will have reverse, and first, and that's it. So far as I know, there is no aftermarket solution to run the electronic governor, TCC, and O/D solenoids in the trans. You would need an older, three speed auto, or, do a manual trans conversion....

Then, you get to see if there is any way to run the speedometer...... it just uses a VSS on the end of the trans/t-case (2 or 4wd, respectively), so, you might be able to manage something there. (just need the 5 volt power supply for the sensor.)

Dumping the electronics isn't as easy as you think it should be. The PCM is tied to almost everything on your truck. We haven't even mentioned the air bag, and abs yet either.......

Old 05-08-2014, 07:54 AM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You have port fuel injection. All the second gen trucks did. (except the diesels....) There are no injectors on your throttle body, all it does is meter air, and send a few basic signals to the PCM.

Sure, nuking the EFI, and PCM will allow you to generate more power, but, if you have an automatic trans....... you will have reverse, and first, and that's it. So far as I know, there is no aftermarket solution to run the electronic governor, TCC, and O/D solenoids in the trans. You would need an older, three speed auto, or, do a manual trans conversion....

Then, you get to see if there is any way to run the speedometer...... it just uses a VSS on the end of the trans/t-case (2 or 4wd, respectively), so, you might be able to manage something there. (just need the 5 volt power supply for the sensor.)

Dumping the electronics isn't as easy as you think it should be. The PCM is tied to almost everything on your truck. We haven't even mentioned the air bag, and abs yet either.......
Third option would be 46rh 95 or older if you want to retain the OD.
To control it you would need this kit http://www.transmissioncenter.net/SwapInformation.htm
Oh and yes you have multiport fuel injection, Dodge did away with TBI around 1992.

Dave

Last edited by xjarhead69; 05-08-2014 at 08:04 AM.

Quick Reply: tbi and computer delete