2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Will it fit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djbucky3
To not necessarily go against Johnn123, but regearing aint cheap.
Not against, you are correct. It is an expensive endeavour. However it needs to be done if you want to do it properly and not have the driveline grenade on ya.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Less expensive than a trans rebuild.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:52 PM
alaskaguy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took a look, looks like I have a 3.25in block in between the rear axel and springs so I'm guessing this is a 3in body lift, am I assuming right, I'm new to this truck thing, but I'm loving every minute.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:05 PM
BBartow
Captain

Body Lifts are when polyurethane blocks are placed in between the body and frame at the mounts. Your best bet to determine what size tires you can run would be to post pics of your truck so we can see how much lift you actually have.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:26 PM
drtydn
Rookie

Originally Posted by alaskaguy
Took a look, looks like I have a 3.25in block in between the rear axel and springs so I'm guessing this is a 3in body lift, am I assuming right, I'm new to this truck thing, but I'm loving every minute.
block between frame and truck bed = body lift....... block between axle and spring = suspension lift... when/if you re-gear, do you plan on taking that project yourself, or have someone do it for you... doing it yourself will save some $$$$$ and more pride in your workmenship, having someone else do it will cost ya an arm and a leg, but you know its done right (might even come with a warranty )

Old 04-26-2014, 10:30 PM
djbucky3
Captain

Originally Posted by drtydn
block between frame and truck bed = body lift....... block between axle and spring = suspension lift... when/if you re-gear, do you plan on taking that project yourself, or have someone do it for you... doing it yourself will save some $$$$$ and more pride in your workmenship, having someone else do it will cost ya an arm and a leg, but you know its done right (might even come with a warranty )
*having someone else do it also means you wont screw it up too badly yourself, and run into more issues either immediately or later on..

Old 04-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Re-gearing isn't rocket science, but there is a proper procedure and sequence that must be followed. It's important to come to an understanding in your mind as to why things have to be done that way before doing it.
The cost of the specialized tools needed is less than labor charges, and when the job is done you'll have something to show for your money, and you'll know it was done right.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:28 PM
djbucky3
Captain

I suppose it depends how mechanically inclined you are.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:42 PM
alaskaguy
Rookie

Well if I do a lift ill go on post (I'm military) to the car care center and do it so there will be no tool cost. I think I'm mechanically inclined, I'm pretty good with the motor, but suspension and trans are new to me.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

I dont recommend doing gears on your own if youve never done it before. If you want to do it yourself find someone whos done it before and knows what to do so they can guide you Wouldnt want to do something wrong and break something from inexperience.