2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Project time... Various questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:37 PM
xplorer82
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here is my next challenge. the exhaust bolt did not just back out, i'm not that lucky... it is snapped. looking at what is left and how much is missing im thinking it is snapped right in the head. probably flush.

any thoughts on what a easy fix would be as I am sure my exhaust tick will be pretty loud now since the bolt will not thread in and I already pulled it and the rust out that was holding it in there.... if it aint one thing.................. I am not pulling headers, those bolts scare me. Nasty rusted.

I have tried those muffler/manifold "fixes" before, I know those aint going to work.

Name:  IMG_20140507_165529149_HDR_zps6975a03b.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  78.8 KB

Old 05-07-2014, 11:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Exhaust bolts are never fun..... If it isn't leaking, don't mess with it till it starts. If it IS leaking, you get to see how many more break off when you pull the manifold..... you may get lucky, and some may be sticking out, which you can grab, and turn out. You may also be unlucky, and it may be flush, or below the surface.... in which case, you can try using a pick, and see if it will turn..... maybe. (chemicals are your friend, and be GENEROUS.) If it won't, next step is to drill it for an easy out, and see if that will get it. DO NOT break the easy out off in the bolt. You aren't going to drill that out.... Use a large enough one that it will take a bit of torque. More chemicals here too. If that doesn't work, it's time to pull the head....

We having fun yet?

Quick Reply: Project time... Various questions.