2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny shift probs

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 11:05 AM
kgilhooley31
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny shift probs

I have a 98 1500 4wd and i had an 01 46re placed into mine. They had to swap the electrical connections to make it work but all went fine because they changed some stuff slightly apparantly on how it hooks up. No problems for months. But now i Just had this tranny rebuilt (well, he fixed what was broken and worn, not a complete rebuild), and he asked what year the truck was and i told him a 98 not remembering that the tranny is technically an 01. So now i cant get it to shift really.. like itll ride in 1st, then i gotta let off gas and wait and itll sometimes shift to second. Then slowly in a minute might go to third, then overdrive and TCC is a breeze and no sweat. Is there a possiblility there is a different setup in the valve body with check ***** that they switched from 98 to 01 and he put one in or took one out when he opened it up? or is this my governor pressure sensors/solenoids that are re-breaking back in? i drove it quite a bit yesterday. Didn't seem to change anything. Fluid level seems to be right, put about 5 1/2 quarts in, maybe about 6. Thanks in advance

Old 05-03-2014, 11:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Governor stuff is different from 98 to 00... (or 01, as in your case.) pinouts on connectors are the same, but, I think the connectors themselves are different. (I should probably check into that....) According to theory though, the 98 parts won't mount correctly on the newer valve body, and you get strange issues....... What did you change to make it hook up to your truck?

Quick Reply: Tranny shift probs