2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Band Anchor Found in Trans Pan?

Old 09-15-2014, 04:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

Recheck your band adjustment, and the condition of the band. You can get 'slip-in' bands, as a stop-gap measure. But, if the band is that worn, it's gonna be time for a rebuild soon, and plowing with it will bring it on sooner.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:48 AM
wlatour
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Recheck your band adjustment, and the condition of the band. You can get 'slip-in' bands, as a stop-gap measure. But, if the band is that worn, it's gonna be time for a rebuild soon, and plowing with it will bring it on sooner.

I'm confused The transmission worked perfect and I had drive and reverse perfect without any issues. When dropped the Valve Body and placed the band anchors back in place the bands were smooth and clean with no grooves. I also did tighten the front and rear to Manufacture spec's.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Might be time to plug a gauge into it, and see what pressures look like. But, if forward gears are all working fine, and just reverse is missing.... in the pan is the first place I would look.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Snowfan
Professional

Don't stress, there is plenty of time for fixing it before plow season starts.

Get the trans service manual. Take a close look at the diagnostic charts in service manual.
Name:  3_zpsee4f310f.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  67.4 KB
Name:  2_zps9c4b32ae.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  59.2 KB
Name:  1_zpsb9cce1c2.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  46.5 KB

One step at a time will get you there. I agree with HeyYou, check line pressures. It should not cost much. Drop pan and readjust bands first. Could be as simple as your filter fell down.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:37 PM
wlatour
Amateur

What Band controls the Reverse? Front or Rear. I know after making the adjustments My shift from first to second was perfect. The shifting 3-4 was a little different than before. Maybe that is problem? Thanks Warren

Get the trans service manual. Take a close look at the diagnostic charts in service manual.
Name:  3_zpsee4f310f.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  67.4 KB
Name:  2_zps9c4b32ae.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  59.2 KB
Name:  1_zpsb9cce1c2.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  46.5 KB

One step at a time will get you there. I agree with HeyYou, check line pressures. It should not cost much. Drop pan and readjust bands first. Could be as simple as your filter fell down.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-18-2014, 08:49 AM
Snowfan
Professional

The front clutch and rear band are applied when reverse is selected.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Can adjust the rear band without opening the trans.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Snowfan
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Can adjust the rear band without opening the trans.

I think its the front band that is adjusted from outside. Trans pan needs to be dropped to adjust the rear band.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:36 PM
wlatour
Amateur

Originally Posted by Snowfan
I think its the front band that is adjusted from outside. Trans pan needs to be dropped to adjust the rear band.
Well I adjusted the front band and then did not notice much difference? So I dropped the pan again and noticed the rear band was waaay off... So I did the adjustment on the rear band twice just to make sure. After new filter kit and fluid I now have reverse and it shifts fine. I keep thing back to when I put the band anchor in did I forget to tighten the rear band adjustment??? Thanks for all the info everyone. Now my new issue is the ruff idle. Changed plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, Pickup Coil, Lower Coil. Then I changed Idle air, Mass Flow, Throttle position, two fuel injectors that I was getting codes on. Had pressure test and that's fine. My dealer said I had a bad ECM Control Module? Any Thoughts??

Old 09-22-2014, 09:13 AM
Snowfan
Professional

Bad ECM is rare. Never heard of one making an engine run rough. You need to determine if it is compression, fuel or spark caused. Start with a compression check.

Be sure all plugs and wires are correctly routed as per TSB 18-48-98

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Band Anchor Found in Trans Pan?