2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Band Anchor Found in Trans Pan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:09 PM
wlatour
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Band Anchor Found in Trans Pan?

My Transmission is working perfect. No hard shifts. Fluid is great. I only have 95,000miles on it. I also serviced this 2 times since I owned it. Just it was never adjusted. I want to put the anchor back up in place and adjust the 1-2, 3-4 anchor bolts to 72 INCH pounds and turn back three times. It was the front band anchor. My shift from first to second I have to give it gas then let off to shift to second around 25-30mph's. My question is do I have to remove the Valve Body or can my hands fit up above it?

2001 2500 Dodge Ram 5.9 Gas

Last edited by wlatour; 05-28-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Front or rear anchor? Front, think ya gotta drop the valve body. And remember, that is 72 INCH pounds, then back 'em off.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1^ Drop the valve body, you'll want to check the strut at the other end of the band, they can drop out of place and lay on top of the valve body.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Snowfan
Professional

I found an anchor in my pan too. While in there replaced the front band with a slip-in. 8000 miles and 6 months or so later, all is well. The anchor usually fallls out due to excessive front band material wear. Yes, drop the throttle body and plan on a new front band, since you are in there.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...trans-pan.html

Old 05-30-2014, 07:57 PM
wlatour
Amateur

How Hard is it to drop the Valve Body? I don't want to take out the transmission. I want to work on it while its on the truck. What parts or Seals or Gaskets do I need if I drop the Valve Body?

Old 05-30-2014, 08:21 PM
Arde
All Star

Not hard. Remove filter, and the shift levers on drivers side of trans., a few screws holding it to the trans.,you can pull it out with the park rod attached.
Don't need any gaskets or seals, just a pan gasket when you put it back together. There is an O-ring for the shift lever you could replace just to be on the safe side.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Big_Texxan
Professional

an anchor???? AHOY MATIES. hahahaha, thats no good though

Old 06-09-2014, 10:54 AM
wlatour
Amateur

Well my son and I pulled the transmission cover, filter and a hell of a time to get the shift levers bolts off hard to reach. Any way we were able to replace the Anchor and adjust both bands and everything looked really clean and no wear marks. After adjustment and put back together with new fluid it works like it was new Shifts perfect... To bad all the trans services (Fluid Changes) I had they never did adjustments. Saved $550 that a garage wanted to do and he wanted to pull out the trans? Thanks for info

Originally Posted by Arde
Not hard. Remove filter, and the shift levers on drivers side of trans., a few screws holding it to the trans.,you can pull it out with the park rod attached.
Don't need any gaskets or seals, just a pan gasket when you put it back together. There is an O-ring for the shift lever you could replace just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by wlatour; 06-09-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Arde
All Star

Glad it worked out for you. Not only did you save some cash, but you also have the piece of mind knowing it was done right and the satisfaction of DIY.
Priceless.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:15 AM
wlatour
Amateur

OH Dear, I have not used the truck very much since June but I'm now loosing Reverse. I check fluids and everything looks fine. Clean not burnt I checked the linkage and that's ok. What would cause this. I replaced the band anchor and did the adjustments per front and rear by the book. Help winter is on the way and I need to plow with this beast....

Quick Reply: Band Anchor Found in Trans Pan?