2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

High idle and slipping overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idle and slipping overdrive

So the old dodge has been running a little funny for the last day or so. Did a quick search on here and couldn't find anything. Truck idles high in park or neutral and it fluctuates between normal and high rpm. I don't have a tach but I would guesstimate 800- 1200ish rpm. Put it into gear and its idles normal. Then when you get doing and you're doing highway speed (60mphish) it had a very hard time staying in overdrive. It changes from 3rd to 4th randomly but I would say usually every 7 seconds and then the odd time stay in 4th for like 30 seconds then go back into 3rd. It appears to do it at every little bump on the highway. With overdrive off it will do it with 3rd and 2nd. Not sure if these problems are linked but they started happening at the same time so I assume so. Also, my gas mileage has become painfully low. I burnt 1/4 tank (and I have the larger tank) in 30 miles heading to work. Only one way. Burnt the next 1/4 tank coming home. I think this is also linked to the other issues. Any ideas?

Old 06-01-2014, 05:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

The RPM change is probably TCC locking/unlocking. (RPM changes about 200 RPM.) Just replace the TPS for that one. May solve the odd idle too.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Without starting another thread I figured I would just post this here because it may be related.

HeyYou, haven't had a chance to check the TPS yet.

As mentioned earlier the truck has been running a little rough. It's a little better now (haven't done anything.)

Checked my oil last week and it was good. Oil pressure was good too. Driving home today and I realized my oil pressure guage was reading low. Got home checked my oil and its not even reading on the stick.. Where did my oil go? Am I safe to assume I may be looking into a plenum fix?

Old 06-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Davedacarpainter
Rookie

Look at the lower bottom of your engine where it meets up to the tranny. If you have a bunch of oil there, you may need a rear main seal. It's not a real hard fix. Though, yes, a leaking plenum gasket will help burn it up. I did both repairs and the rear main seal was the heavier leaker by far.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you need to fix your plenum man.

Idle issue could be a bad IAC.

Quick Reply: High idle and slipping overdrive