2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Piston to Valve clearance - Need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 04:37 PM
redman75
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston to Valve clearance - Need help

Hey everyone. I posted on here once before asking about what to do with a high lift cam. I was directed toward Odessa Cylinder heads, which I was given good feedback about. I finally saved up the $900 for the heads. I got the EQ Magnum heads (their heavier/thicker castings, which also have stiffer springs).

Anyways now I need to put the heads on and to check the clearance of the valves from the pistons I used modelling clay. I cranked everything down to spec and turned the engine over a few ties. When i took the heads of there was small dents in the clay. The clay was probably about 1/4in to begin with and the impressions are probably about 1/8in into the clay. Is this a problem? It was my understanding with the upgraded heads it would not cause a problem with a piston.

More Info: the pistons are flat top, Lift on the cam is .515 (comp), 1995 ram 1500. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it. This has been a long project and I want to finish it!!!

Old 06-21-2014, 04:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

If you still have an eighth of an inch clearance, you are good to go.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:09 PM
redman75
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright. This is my first engine build so I am just learning as I go, thank you. Do you happen to know what type of rockers I should look for if I was to upgrade those? I also need pushrods, because somehow I managed to loose one. I figure if I've done this much I mind as well do everything!

Old 06-21-2014, 05:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

With the high lift cam, I would stick with stock ratio (1.6:1) rockers. For around 300 or so, you can get the harland sharp full roller rockers. That would make for a nice upgrade. Or, have the heads machined for 3/8ths chevy style rocker studs, and you can use chevy roller rockers.

Quick Reply: Piston to Valve clearance - Need help