2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 ram 5.9mag rattle/cracking noise and black smoke at high rpm

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 08:28 PM
kodydredram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend bought one for his old Dakota with the 5.2 but sold it before he put it on. I'm just going to pick that up from him. Lately I have also noticed a bit of a rough idle could that be from the plenum to? I think I'm just getting paranoid about the truck now it's cost me alot lately.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:44 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The plenum job isn't really too expensive if you can do the work yourself or have the buddy you can pay with beer!

There are full kits available for $100+, but there are some members here that make plates and you can buy a (better quality) FelPro Gasket set then the one that comes with the Hughes kit.

When you do the fix clean up the throttle body real good and the sensors there and see if the idle doesn't improve any.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:52 PM
kodydredram

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it

Old 07-03-2014, 08:55 PM
ReadRam
All Star

How many miles on truck? Could be worn valve guides and seals or combination of issues. A vacuum gauge would have a shaky needle. Mopar makes a good combustion cleaner, foams up and spreads around better than seafoam, imo. Compression check on motor might tell you what your dealing with also.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:04 PM
kodydredram

Well I live in Canada so it's kilometers. It's got only 112,000 but I know that they were hard ones. If I pull the value coves should I be able to so the worn out rockers

Old 07-04-2014, 10:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by kodydredram
Well I live in Canada so it's kilometers. It's got only 112,000 but I know that they were hard ones. If I pull the value coves should I be able to so the worn out rockers
Nope. Wear surfaces are only visible if you take them off. If your valve covers leak, replacing the gaskets sure wouldn't hurt, and you can give things the 'wiggle test'..... if they are sloppy, that's a problem. But, as we just have stamped steel rockers in there, if there IS a problem, it's likely to be lifters more than anything else in the valve train.

Quick Reply: 2001 ram 5.9mag rattle/cracking noise and black smoke at high rpm