2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.88's for 9.25" / D44 and Where to Buy + Crush Sleeve Eliminator?

Old 07-03-2014, 11:53 AM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 4.88's for 9.25" / D44 and Where to Buy + Crush Sleeve Eliminator?

First off, I realize there are a few threads on this subject but none are very informative. Also, for the record I am not interested in swapping to 3/4 ton axles.

I'm running 35" tires with 3.55 gears and I'm getting a bit tired of it. I understand that a 4.56 ratio will put me closest to stock, however I am considering going to 4.88 to rev a tad higher on the highway for better towing capability, better acceleration, and to have provisions for 37" tires in the future.

To my understanding, I need to purchase a standard rotation "thick" 4.88 gearset for both the 9.25 and D44 to retain my stock carriers. I have read that grinding a tooth down on the 9.25 is required to insert the cross pin, or a notched cross pin is required. Is this the case for the D44 as well with a thick gearset? If someone who has installed a 4.56 / 4.88 gearset can confirm the above that'd be awesome.

I'm also wondering where you guys have purchased your 4.88's. Doing a google search brings up very few hits; it looks like Nitro and G2 are the only ones that offer 4.88 gears for the 9.25 and they are twice the price ($300+) of 4.56's. It appears that Yukon used to make a set but now no longer do.

I've looked briefly at crush sleeve eliminator kits by Yukon or Ratech as setting proper pinion preload with the 9.25 sounds like a crapshoot from what I've been reading on Pirate. Anyone have experience with these?

Any info is appreciated!

Old 07-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct on the standard thick.

No idea about the grinding.

I tried to look from my end on the r/p set for ya. I called West Coast Differential here and they offer it for 9.25 axle however, on backorder to October....!!! $367.33 for the set and $160 for the master install kit.

I confirm that Nitro makes them and found here, however should call if in stock...

http://www.justdifferentials.com/C9-....25-488-ng.htm

Crush Sleeve Eliminator

http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/Produc..._Gear_and_Axle

Amazon.com: Yukon (SK CSGM8.5) Crush Sleeve Eliminator Kit for GM 8.5"/Chrysler 9.25" Differential: Automotive Amazon.com: Yukon (SK CSGM8.5) Crush Sleeve Eliminator Kit for GM 8.5"/Chrysler 9.25" Differential: Automotive

http://www.d o d g e t a l k.com/for...?t-334372.html <--take out spaces

Perhaps call a bunch of shops with hope they have the r/p sitting collecting dust. Seems like they are going the way of the dodo...if true would be crappy for replacement needs.

I hope someone has way better luck searching. Even East Coast Gear Supply doesn't carry anymore...

Edit: waiit a second

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/axl...n-p-68678.html

Last edited by Wh1t3NuKle; 07-03-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You only need thick gears for the d44 because of the carrier split. There is no carrier split for the 9.25 rear. I have 4.56 gears with 35s on my d44/9.25. I don't believe you have to grind down any teeth. Pretty sure I didn't but its been a while. I bought mine from Summit Racing with installation kits. You can also buy them at Randy's Ring and Pinion.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Need thick cut gears for the D44, but, I think the 9.25 carrier is universal. (I think.)

No need to notch gear for front axle. There are no retainers on the front diff, so, don't even need to pull the cross pin.

4.88's and 35's will be a NICE combination. Your trans will love you for it.

4 Wheel Parts has the 4.88's for the rear. 271.00

Summit racing has front and rears as well. (and probably Jegs too....)

Don't know anything about crush sleeve eliminators....

Old 07-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Need thick cut gears for the D44, but, I think the 9.25 carrier is universal. (I think.)

Summit racing has front and rears as well. (and probably Jegs too....)

Don't know anything about crush sleeve eliminators....
That's correct. Don't need thick gears for the 9.25.

I just checked summit. I can find the 4.88 thick gears for the d44 but not the gears for the rear. I should also note that front thick gears are not your only option.. You can buy a carrier for the proper carrier split and buy standard gears as well. If I was doing mine over again I would have replaced the front carrier with a locker with the right carrier split for 4.56, but I offroad so..

Old 07-03-2014, 02:03 PM
BBartow
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-04-2014, 12:45 AM
oxymoron29
Veteran

Appreciate the responses guys, all very helpful. Good to know there's no carrier split for the 9.25. My only concern is the cross pin, which still seems to be an issue. Check out this thread with 4.56's installed:

http://www.v i r t u a ljeepclub.com...quot-gear-swap (take out spaces)

Also, the link that whitenuckle provided has an explicit note that the gearset requires grinding of the ring gear teeth or a notched cross pin, found here:

http://www.justdifferentials.com/CHY...y9.25-xpin.htm

Any of you guys have first hand experience with this? Seems to be the only thing holding me up on the rear end. Grinding down a tooth seems like a terrible idea to me, and at this point I can only cross my fingers and hope Nitro's notched pin works as I can't seem to find anyone that has used it or ground down the original to work.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:30 AM
94Beater
Veteran

I'm running 4.88 for last few years.
Use them on the highway and off road. RPM doesn't seem too high, even when doing 80mph.
Got them from Yukon when were making them.
#1 Chry 9.25 YES, you have to shave part of the ring tooth out to fit cross pin.
#2 Chry 9.25 do not need carrier. Carrier will hold everything up to 4.88 which is max what this axle ever had.
#3 Dana 44. Can use stock carrier. However you need thick gear.
#4 Dana 44. Need to shave corner of ring tooth as well.
When you shave/cut (remove) part of the ring gear tooth to fit cross pin, it does not interfere with tooth bearing surface/pattern. This is a common practice and does not adversely affect bearing of the axle.

Last edited by 94Beater; 07-04-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:38 AM
94Beater
Veteran

Here are the parts I've used

Attached Thumbnails 4.88's for 9.25&quot; / D44 and Where to Buy + Crush Sleeve Eliminator?-4_88kit.jpg  
Old 07-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oxymoron29
I've looked briefly at crush sleeve eliminator kits by Yukon or Ratech as setting proper pinion preload with the 9.25 sounds like a crapshoot from what I've been reading on Pirate. Anyone have experience with these?

Any info is appreciated!
I put a Ratech solid spacer in my 9.25. Pinion preload is set with shims. Piece of cake really, and you don't have to deal with that crush sleeve. Only thing I've heard about anyone having any problems with is that every once in a while you can get a combination of shims where one shim isn't quite enough, and the next thickness is too much. The solution is to hone the solid spacer down .001" on a piece of wet-dry sandpaper. It happens, but isn't common. I had no problems with mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.88's for 9.25" / D44 and Where to Buy + Crush Sleeve Eliminator?