2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 ram 2500 start then dies help

Old 06-25-2014, 08:01 AM
akehayias
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 ram 2500 start then dies help

I have a 96 ram 2500 with the 5.9 that when i start it it immediately dies. However if i give it gas, it stays running. If i stay on the gas for a few seconds, it will idle at low rpm, and stay running and i can drive it. This does not happen all the time just sporadically. Iac was replace 6 months ago. Please help me figure this out as this is the only mechanical issue and im trying to sell it. Thanks

Old 06-26-2014, 10:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

What brand IAC?

Where ya at, and how much do you want for it? Pics??

Old 06-27-2014, 08:12 AM
akehayias

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What brand IAC?

Where ya at, and how much do you want for it? Pics??
Im in melbourne fl. Not sure what brand IAC cause it was the only one AutoZone had. Its the 5.9 magnum, also the transmission was rebuilt a few years ago to the 3500 transmission. (Better for pulling and torque) will try to post pics

Old 06-28-2014, 12:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Ouch. Too much of a drive that.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:13 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

how is your battery is it strong? i have had 2 trucks that came in to the shop now that the battery was getting weak put a new battery in it and it fixed it. try cleaning the iac and throttle body port they get gummed up

Old 06-30-2014, 12:11 PM
akehayias

Originally Posted by h3lzsn1p3r
how is your battery is it strong? i have had 2 trucks that came in to the shop now that the battery was getting weak put a new battery in it and it fixed it. try cleaning the iac and throttle body port they get gummed up
The battery tested a little weak but still well within operational standards. The IAC is less than six months old and when i replaced that i cleaned the ports, intake, everything. When the IAC went bad last time it died anytimeicame off the gas. This time its just sporadically. Usually when i first start it.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:19 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

Originally Posted by akehayias
The battery tested a little weak but still well within operational standards. The IAC is less than six months old and when i replaced that i cleaned the ports, intake, everything. When the IAC went bad last time it died anytimeicame off the gas. This time its just sporadically. Usually when i first start it.

its the battery. even when a battery tests weak but still i parameters it can cause these issues

Old 06-30-2014, 05:51 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ive had the exact same problems with a weak battery.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:20 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default Have you rented a obd tester?

Hello,
I was having the same problem and I wasn't getting a CEL but I got a free rental tester and my 96 Ram 1500 3.9L was throwing a code I can't remember. It pointed me,as well as a board member to my CMP or Camshaft Position Sensor. It is located inside the distributor cap and regulates the fuel/ignition timing if I remember correctly. I replaced my rotor while I was in the distributor because the distributor is located way down behind the throttle body and isn't the easiest thing to get to. There is also a Crankshaft Position Sensor called a CKP located on the left rear side of the engine block, bolted below the transfer pump. It senses the position of the crankshaft and engine speed and works with the ECM or the brains of your truck to help determine fuel and ignition timing as well. I may be wrong with some acronyms here but a rented sensor can go a long way to help solve problems even when your check engine light isn't on. Removing and cleaning your throttle body may help your issue. I know that the IAC, CMP stopped my rough to no idle, and dying at low RPM's problems for good. Also, it will be said on here many times to avoid the AutoZone brand devices and go with higher end lifetime warranty devices. I used O'Reilly's BDW parts in all my replacements. I also replaced my coil as it is attached to a ******* heat sink on the passenger side right up front of the engine where heat and grime are at its worst.
Good luck,
Torx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 ram 2500 start then dies help