2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ugh...clogged cat?

Old 12-18-2014, 02:53 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cat has just been replaced last September with a Magnaflow high flow cat but I didn't replace the O2 sensors. And now the cat is making a pinging noise like it fell apart inside..

I guess I should of put new O2 sensors in.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:15 PM
DodgeFanMP
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has your plenum been repaired yet?

Originally Posted by ChillyPhil
My cat has just been replaced last September with a Magnaflow high flow cat but I didn't replace the O2 sensors. And now the cat is making a pinging noise like it fell apart inside..

If not, that could cause your cat to fail again.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:27 PM
DodgeFanMP
Professional
Default Update...

Well, I was due for an oil change, so I took care of that today. I had been using Mobil1 Super 5000 10W-30 after doing a cleanse with Auto-RX Plus this past summer, with a PureOne filter. Today I switched to Rotella 10W-30 and added about 3 oz. of Auto-RX Plus (per the manufacturer's instructions for "maintenance" cleaning) with a PureOne filter. I also ran about 1/3 can of Seafoam into the intake through the brake booster hose and then let the truck sit for about 15 minutes. I try to do this at least every other oil change, if not more often.

When I started it back up, it blew out a little bit of smoke from the exhaust, but not nearly as much as it has in the past. However, ever since it has been driving MUCH better. The acceleration is noticeably quicker and smoother. In fact, tonight when driving home from work, I accidentally spun the tires several times while accelerating. The pavement was wet...but it was mainly due to me not being used to that much pep from the engine.

So, I'm thrilled for now. Time will tell if this is simply one of the random, sporadic times when it will run great, or if the oil change/Seafoam actually made a huge difference in performance. Could a clogged oil filter cause the engine to bog down badly?

I'll try to check back in again soon to give another update. Thanks again to everyone that has chimed in on this thread.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:34 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Originally Posted by ChillyPhil

I love Magnaflow but their cats are not great . I blew out 2 new ones in under 6 months . Last one sent shrapnel at my tool box 5' behind the jeep , bits of catalyst went flying .

The design is just a hollow cat with minimum catalyst , I'd say less than 1"wide , on each end of the convertor . A recycler won't even buy them they are that shy of catalyst .

Your description to me is the cat failed . Sounds too familiar .

Old 12-23-2014, 03:35 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Originally Posted by DodgeFanMP
Well, I was due for an oil change, so I took care of that today. I had been using Mobil1 Super 5000 10W-30 after doing a cleanse with Auto-RX Plus this past summer, with a PureOne filter. Today I switched to Rotella 10W-30 and added about 3 oz. of Auto-RX Plus (per the manufacturer's instructions for "maintenance" cleaning) with a PureOne filter. I also ran about 1/3 can of Seafoam into the intake through the brake booster hose and then let the truck sit for about 15 minutes. I try to do this at least every other oil change, if not more often.

When I started it back up, it blew out a little bit of smoke from the exhaust, but not nearly as much as it has in the past. However, ever since it has been driving MUCH better. The acceleration is noticeably quicker and smoother. In fact, tonight when driving home from work, I accidentally spun the tires several times while accelerating. The pavement was wet...but it was mainly due to me not being used to that much pep from the engine.

So, I'm thrilled for now. Time will tell if this is simply one of the random, sporadic times when it will run great, or if the oil change/Seafoam actually made a huge difference in performance. Could a clogged oil filter cause the engine to bog down badly?

I'll try to check back in again soon to give another update. Thanks again to everyone that has chimed in on this thread.
Thank the Seafoam

Old 12-23-2014, 09:41 PM
DodgeFanMP
Professional

Originally Posted by onegoodmason
Thank the Seafoam
That's what I'm thinking, too. I guess I'll have to start using it more often.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:01 PM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Originally Posted by DodgeFanMP
That's what I'm thinking, too. I guess I'll have to start using it more often.
My favorite is the Mopar combustion chamber cleaner . For all we know it's Seafoam relabeled . I guess my philosophy is it gets more evenly distributed through the throttle body . You also get more control through a slower process and less chance to stall during . Bonus , the throttle body gets a cleaning in the process .

It's really personal choice . If you need it , either will work with decent results .

Old 12-24-2014, 10:44 PM
DodgeFanMP
Professional
Default I'll have to give that a try...

Originally Posted by onegoodmason
My favorite is the Mopar combustion chamber cleaner . For all we know it's Seafoam relabeled . I guess my philosophy is it gets more evenly distributed through the throttle body . You also get more control through a slower process and less chance to stall during . Bonus , the throttle body gets a cleaning in the process .

It's really personal choice . If you need it , either will work with decent results .
I've heard this product referenced here before, but I have never looked for it in a store. Do you have to get it from the dealer, or do parts stores carry it, too?

I'm guessing it's an aerosol spray that you administer through the throttle butterflies? I have a can of Seafoam spray that I believe is supposed to be used in this same manner, but admittedly, I've always been too lazy to remove the air filter housing just to use it, and I always forget to use it when I already have the housing off for another reason. I do agree with your theory that this would result in a more even distribution, though. I had this same thought as I was running the Seafoam through the brake booster hose the other day....I wondered how homogenously the Seafoam actually got spread throughout the intake and all the ports and cylinders.

Do you typically take your truck out for a hard drive afterward to "burn" out the deposits? An "Italian tuneup", per se?

Thanks for the info!

Old 12-25-2014, 06:30 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Just the dealer AFIK .

Yes , aerosol spray .

Spray down the TB , yup . Take it for a hard run after ....yup!

I've even pulled the spark plugs , sprayed it in direct to the combustion chamber , let sit over night , blow it out , reinstall plugs .

Your welcome and Merry Xmas

Old 01-10-2015, 12:15 AM
DodgeFanMP
Professional
Default Another update...

Well, the intermittent issue continues. Yesterday my truck drove like crap again. Just very sluggish, and the engine sounded like it was laboring. Typical for the "bad" days. Then today, it started driving like a brand new truck. I don't get it. BUT, I did realize I had forgotten to mention one side effect that seems to occur every time the truck runs poorly. This sounds crazy, but I swear that when the truck is running sluggishly, the accelerator pedal gets more difficult to push down, as if there is back pressure on the throttle butterfly causing resistance to opening. Does that make ANY sense whatsoever? I really feel like this is not simply an imagined symptom, because I seem to notice it EVERY time the truck starts running poorly. On days like today when the truck runs very well, the accelerator pedal seems easy to push, the engine revs smoothly, and the transmission shifts smoothly and without hesitation.

I know this probably sounds ridiculous, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has any suggestions. If the catalytic converter was clogged, could it be causing back pressure to build up in the intake manifold, and thus trying to force the throttle closed? Or worse, could I have an exhaust valve that is sticking occasionally (if that's even something that CAN happen "occasionally") and not allowing exhaust gases to escape?

Thanks for any input.

Search this Thread