2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Ram 1500 2wd extension housing bushing removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:13 PM
xplorer82
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Ram 1500 2wd extension housing bushing removal

I've been having a issue that is almost cured. I have changed out my driveshaft u joints, output shaft seal and trans mount. the trans mount was totally wasted. as soon as I jacked up the trans the top plate of the mount fell right off. so it was separated from the rubber mount instead of being one unit.

after I changed the above parts I drove it for a few days and all seemed fine until I went down a bumpy road and felt it again. so I got under the truck and inspected everything again.

I still have up and down play as well as side to side play at the trans yoke. I believe my bushing is the culprit.

I have done searches on this forum as well as google searches. I have not found any type of how to's on this subject. if im not mistaken (ive done quite a bit of reading so could be wrong/mixed up), ive read that the OD unit is inside of the housing and is easily screwed up if taken off? i'm trying to avoid making more work for myself as im laid off and tight on cash right now.

so basically my question is, has anyone here ever changed the bushing inside the 2wd housing? how did you do it? would a "blind hole puller" work on it?

Old 07-09-2014, 12:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

The extension housing *should* be a separate piece, with just the output shaft running thru it. The bushing is pressed in, so, needs to be driven out. I think that feller is a couple inches long..... so just trying to use a drift probably won't work very well. (also, it should be brass/bronze, therefore, rather soft....) May need to see if you can rent a bushing/bearing driver set to get it in/out.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:05 PM
xplorer82
Professional

thanks Hey. I was thinking it should just be a empty case pretty much, just didn't want to take a chance without confirming because of a few things I did find on the subject.

I have a bushing that came with my output shaft seal (it was a kit), it is aluminum I think. its about 4" long, with fluid paths in it to lube the shaft/splines up. i'll just have to buy another seal since I have to get back in there.

Can anyone else confirm that the extension housing can be pulled alone, empty per say? I remember reading a thread where someone pulled theirs off and other members were like "oh no, you just screwed yourself".. may not be the exact words, but close to it.

I just cant afford a "oh no" at this point. i'll open the FSM again, I usually just get lost in that thing. maybe its just how my computer scrolls thru it, idk.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:26 PM
xplorer82
Professional

I went thru my FSM's (96 & 01) looks like I will need special tools..

In the 96 manual it calls it the "overdrive housing" and the 01 manual just calls it a "transmission extension housing"..

I'm hesitant of pulling the housing, just in case. I guess I will just drive it the way it is, or maybe I can loosen up the trans mount again and pull it back a tiny bit to tighten up the slack from the bad(?) bushing causing the play in the front of the driveshaft entering the trans, then tighten the trans mounts back up good. see if that takes the remaining problem away.

its sort of a bucking issues when accelerating after slowing down... or when your kind of pu**yfooting the pedal while going over bumps (like a bridge overpass at highway speeds).. I thought for sure it was the busted trans mount, but the play is what im after now. maybe I can grab a yoke off another truck and try that first...... hmmm. idk. mine looked great from what I seen.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Looks to me like it is an empty aluminum housing, with a bearing for the output shaft toward the center. Keep in mind, pulling it off is moren' likely going to allow fluid to come out wholesale.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:45 PM
xplorer82
Professional

Nope. just got out from under the truck. if I pull it, it looks like the overdrive is coming out with it. the only place to unbolt the extension housing is directly right behind the trans pan. its like 6 or 7 bolts that I could see.

Name:  transhousing1_zps67e23f00.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  82.9 KB

Name:  transhousing2_zps49815fb4.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  85.0 KB

guess I will have to buy $100 in specialty tools to get that bushing swapped out if I feel the need. otherwise drive it and not worry about it and hope for the best..

I did notice my trans yoke has the rubber insert like on a harmonic balancer, which is shot and dry rotted. maybe I should just try a new yoke and see if it has the same play as this old one.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:54 PM
xplorer82
Professional

here is a video of the play.. it is not the best quality thanks to Motorola. but should show what im concerned about. this was before I replaced the trans mount, seal and u joints.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The case doesn't have a break just to the rear of that sensor?? (kinda greasy, can't really tell.) If not, then, yep, O/D unit is all part of it. Bummer.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:04 PM
xplorer82
Professional

nope, no break in it. no bolts anywhere in that area. just right behind the trans pan. it is one solid unit..

I took some video's tonight of various things.

- The rear drivers wheel does not spin freely when turned the whole time... It has certain points that bind up and stop the wheel. when you spin it fast it sounds like the wheel on Jeopardy hitting the pegs.... I do have 12 & 6 play and noise as well.. Rear outer wheel bearings is my obvious guess.

- The rear passenger wheel spins freely when turned. I can hear a little bearing noise, but it'll get changed when I do the driver side.

Both wheels have quite a bit of in & out play. pushing in, pulling out.... But I know it is a c-clip axel, so it will have some. im just not sure how much is too much. I'll look into it further when I pull the cover. not to familiar with differentials.

- The yoke on the rear diff has play as well. up and down and a very small amount of side to side.. also has a metallic sound while turning the driveshaft in spots.. I am going to change that bearing and seal as the seal has a very small leak. nothing to fuss over tho.

- Now the Trans end is the worst. a lot of up & down, side to side. too much for my liking. when I push and pull on the DS up and down I can hear a clunk type of sound in the area where the bushing is as well.

in the area of the speed sensor while turning the DS I can hear a bearing noise and a strange rubbing type of sound. at certain spots it sounds like a bearing got/gets loose and "tinks" on another bearing or in the housing somewhere. I have a bad feeling on that one...

I think I covered all I found tonight... Once I get the videos uploaded to youtube I will post links. either tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited by xplorer82; 07-10-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:14 AM
xplorer82
Professional

Here is the video of the OD housing noises. Hope the sound quality didn't get chopped

More to come. Having laptop issues and phone is slow tonight.

Quick Reply: 98 Ram 1500 2wd extension housing bushing removal