2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hey need some help my truck is making noise like grinding

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 05:22 PM
dodgeram2001
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Hey need some help my truck is making noise like grinding

HEY I NEED SOME ADVISE I HAVE A 2001 DODGE RAM 1500 4X4 WITH THE 318 IN IT AND I JUST HAD THE TRANS REBUILT ABOUT 3K MILES A GO AND NOW I HAD JUST WAS ON MY WAY HOME FROM WORK TODAY AND SOMEONE ELS HAD A TRUCK LIKE MINE AND HE WANTED TO RACE WELL AND SO WE RACED AND THEN NOW AFTER THAT MY TRUCK IS MAKING A GRINDING NOISE LIKE ITS IN 4 WHEEL DRIVE I DONT KNOW WHY THIS IS MAKING THIS KINDA NOISE , AND WHEN I AM DRIVING I CAN BARLY TOUCH THE 4 WHEEL DRIVE IT MAKES THE GRINDING NOISE AS WELL , SO IM NOT SURE WHAT IS WRONG , OK AND WHEN I HAD GOT THE TRUCK BACK FROM THE TRANS SHOP CAUSE I HAD GOTEN A REBUILD ON THE TRANS, THE 4 WHEEL DRIVE SHIFTER MOVES WHEN I PUSH THE PETAL DOWN/GAS WHEN DRIVING SO IM NOT SURE IF THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT SO PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK,. THANK ALL OF YOU , O AND I JUST NOTEST THAT I HAVE JUST TYPED IN CAPS SORRY . :i con_shrug:

Old 01-16-2010, 06:49 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok your petal moves cause the motor rocks when your driving,,, as for the grinding, when does it happen? any certian speed? where is it coming from?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:04 PM
dodgeram2001
Professional

well the noise that i think it might be from the flywheel cover i dont know what you think?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:21 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

could it be a bad front diff?

Old 01-16-2010, 08:21 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why are you touching your 4wd while driving?

Old 01-16-2010, 09:42 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

it could be alot of things... could be your flywheel inspection plate is bent and rubbing, could be your front diff gears blowing out... could be your transfer case is half in gear half out... ok do this.. it will eliminate a few things....

get in truck, put it in neutral, truck is off... push your stick ( transfer case ) in neutral... make sure its in neutral, not 4lo... and start the truck after you put it in park... and then see if noise continues... if not.. its your transfer case was half engaged, half not... then simply put hte truck back in neutral, and grind it back into 2wd... i say grind it back in cause to do this properly, the truck has to be moving... at about 2-3 mph when you do this but the truck is in neutral so you cant get it moving...

now if the grinding doesnt stop, make sure the truck is in nuetral again, get it in gear (2wd) and climb underneith and just use common sense to get a round about of where its coming from.. like " i know its coming from the trans", or " it sounds like its coming from the front axle" and we can help ya better...

also, put your hand on things ( that arnt hot or can move or hurt you) and you will feel the "vibration" of something... and be able to tell its the transfer case thats grinding... cause youll feel it...

Old 01-16-2010, 09:44 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
you can go from 2hi to 4 hi and back all day long under 55 mph... thats no big deal... its just neutral to 4lo you cant do in gear...

and just FYI for the original post, the transfer case stick is supposed to move when you hit the gas...it is connected to the transfer case, which is bolted to tranny, which is bolted to motor.. and all units shack when romped on

Old 01-26-2010, 11:13 PM
dodgeram2001
Professional

ok sorry this took so long for me to reply ok , this is what happened took the truck in for a check up cause i had replaced the transmission and thought that it was the problem well come to find out that a snap ring in the transfer case went bad an snaped and then made all the gears grind and stuff well the shop rebuilt it an it cost me 836 dollars , ...dam lots of money going in to this truck.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
It's a 4X4 thing. You wouldn't understand.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:26 PM
dodgeram2001
Professional

Originally Posted by Maxx_Magnum
It's a 4X4 thing. You wouldn't understand.

Quick Reply: Hey need some help my truck is making noise like grinding