2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trail Carnage.. help :\

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997JollyGreenGiant
I'm curious, if you drive down the road in 2nd gear, put the truck into neutral then back into drive, will it shift into 3rd then? My first Dodge did that, transmission was going, in addition to many other things.
I tried that with no luck

Old 07-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

My buddy is convinced it's the shifting solenoid insde the tranny? Anybody know anything about these?

Old 07-18-2014, 03:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Only shift solenoid is for O/D. First three gears are controlled by the governor pressure solenoid, and pressure sensor.

Try this: Disconnect the 8 pin connector on the drivers side of the trans, 'bout halfway back. Take the truck for a ride. You will have zero automatic function, so, start in first, and shift when it is appropriate. (both up, and down.) You won't have TCC, or O/D either...... If it shifts nice when you tell it to, then you have an electrical problem. If it doesn't, well... then you have some other problem.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Okay I have an update. I have 3rd and 4th now. I really dont know how or why but I do. I have another problem though. I think the tranny overheats. Was going down the road 10 min ago doin 55mpg going up a hill. Truck started going slower and slower and then I was stopped (still in drive). Let it cool down for 5 minutes and it took off again but a lot slower than normal. Get close to my place and I feel the truck starting to slow down again. Rolled in my driveway popped the hood and my rad is boiling. My motor isn't too hot. Normal temp Tranny fluid was boiling hot as well

EDIT: 20 min later and my rad is still sizzling :S I've been told my tranny cooler may be plugged on the outside but it's clean.

Last edited by Thornloe Pride; 07-18-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Trans temp light come on? What does eng temp gauge have to say?

Old 07-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Engine temp gauge is good. Normal operating temp. Tranny temp light did not come. Tried the truck again 5 minutes ago when everything was cooled and it still has a hard time moving. Put it in gear and it takes almost everything the motor has to move. I'm starting to think maye the filter is plugged? I changed it last night but there was lot of debris in there

Old 07-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would change the fluid again. There is no telling how much water and other gunk got up in there. And you cant get 100% of all the fluid out in one go by just dropping the pan.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Fluid draining right now. Man I hope this fixes some of the issues. At $70 an oil change this gets expensive fast

Old 07-18-2014, 08:54 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope it does too!

A trans rebuild is that ten times over.... And more

Old 07-18-2014, 09:21 PM
DodgeFanMP
Professional
Default If you don't have luck with this change, you might try Auto-RX...

Originally Posted by Thornloe Pride
Fluid draining right now. Man I hope this fixes some of the issues. At $70 an oil change this gets expensive fast
A lot of folks will probably tell you not to put anything in your transmission except ATF+4 (and rightly so), but I recently had very good success with adding about 2/3 bottle of Auto-RX to my fluid to improve a slow-shifting issue. I ran it for about 1,000 miles with the Auto-RX and then changed the fluid. It is supposed to gently break down contaminants and keep them suspended in the fluid so that you remove them when you change the fluid. My truck seems to shift much more smoothly now, and without hesitation.

Again, adding stuff to your transmission fluid is generally not recommended, but my transmission's performance was driving me nuts so I was willing to gamble. So far, it seems to have been worth it. It won't work a miracle if you have a mechanical issue, but it might just help un-clog a dirty shift solenoid if that is your problem. If your alternative is a rebuild, it may be worth a shot. But do some reading on the product to decide if you want to try it.

Good luck. I hope you can figure it out.

Quick Reply: Trail Carnage.. help :\