2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trail Carnage.. help :\

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 10:29 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it's worse now.. Put the tranny in gear, whether it be D or R and it takes a bit of gas for it to engage into gear. Then say 10 seconds of it in gear it feels like its back in neutral and repeat. Went down the road a mile. Seems to shift through all 4 gears okay but there's some drag on it, not sure what yet. Then after that mile it starts slowing down eventually to a stop and even in D it will roll back like its in neutral. Took everything the motor had in 4L just to turn around. I wouldn't say it's "slipping" but there's some crazy drag on it I just have to figure out why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Had to let it rest for 10 minutes before heading home and even then it took a lot of the motor to get up to 25 miles an out. After that it seemed okay. What I find strange is its doing it now but seemed okay on the way home from the trail, even though it only had 2 gears.

It's getting worse though for sure. I drove home from the trail and it was fine. Drove decent this morning quite a distances with the odd seize and now it's BAD. I should mention that when it starts to seize up there's a squeal. Between the squeal and the drag could it be my torque converter and not my trans?

I should also mention that after 5 minutes of use my tranny pan is too hot to hold your hand for more than a second. I don't relieve this is normal. My rad still bubbles after 5 min

Last edited by Thornloe Pride; 07-18-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:00 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you still have a check valve?

Starting to sound like a tear down is in your future.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:02 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by stewie01
Do you still have a check valve?

Starting to sound like a tear down is in your future.
As far as I know it is? What does it do? Sorry I know nothing about transmissions

Old 07-18-2014, 11:12 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by Thornloe Pride
As far as I know it is? What does it do? Sorry I know nothing about transmissions
They can get clogged and become stuck closed, which would cause the transmission to overheat and fry rather quickly.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ve-delete.html

If your truck still has that it could be part of the problem.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1^^ Stewie's right on. Might be a good idea to remove and clean the valve body during one of the trans. fluid changes. Sounds like you might have some crap in the fluid plugging things up and causing valves to stick.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Trying to upload a video but isn't working very much. If the check valve is plugged shouldn't the tranny work fine when I first try it when it's cold? Seems to run "better" at first but worse as temp rises

Edit: here's a vid

Last edited by Thornloe Pride; 07-19-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:15 PM
stewie01
Legend

Kinda hard to say what other damage has (already) been done.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Kinda hard to say what other damage has (already) been done.
Checked my dipstick at cold temp (I know it should be hot and neutral) and there's a thick paste on the end of the dipstick. No other fluid. I filled it last night :S

Old 07-19-2014, 06:16 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by Thornloe Pride
Checked my dipstick at cold temp (I know it should be hot and neutral) and there's a thick paste on the end of the dipstick. No other fluid. I filled it last night :S
Even when cold the fluid should be red and liquid like, not be thick and pastie, I think the hot and in neutral really apply's the most to checking level properly.

At this point I'd stop throwing money at it and let a transmission tech take a look, not sure about up North but usually you can get a free diagnoses.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Even when cold the fluid should be red and liquid like, not be thick and pastie, I think the hot and in neutral really apply's the most to checking level properly.

At this point I'd stop throwing money at it and let a transmission tech take a look, not sure about up North but usually you can get a free diagnoses.
Yeah makes sense just have to figure out how to get it there lol

Quick Reply: Trail Carnage.. help :\