2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

exhaust questions for california smog...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 11:27 PM
Duguid.kevin
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust questions for california smog...

Ok I want to apologize for posting what may seem like a well beatin topic but since I live in california im having troubles trying to understand what options I have to replace my y pipe and cat...also going to replace my headers been thinking about the jba shorties...I have a 98 dodge ram 5.2 2wd im currently in the midst of repairing my plenum and when I recently got it smogged it barely passed...im thinkin blown plenum to clogged cat...so im trying to find a reasonable way to replace the y pipe and cat...the jba shorties I believe are 2.5" at the collector...correct me if im wrong... ive seen the magnaflow direct fit cat but I believe its 2" inlet...

Im looking for basically 2.5" y pipe with 3" dumped in front of the axle...since im in cali can I use an offroad pipe and use a universal cat? Am I limited to the magnaflow direct fit? Custom made y pipe? Again what are my options since I live in cali?

Thanks in advance. ..ive done a lot of searching but not a whole lot comes up for cali smog stuff

Old 07-18-2014, 11:30 PM
Duguid.kevin
Amateur

O and btw...I have the original y pipe and and DI SO cat which I have placed a 3" adapter to a super 10 clone with the baffle removed

Old 07-19-2014, 08:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I think for you, it has to be pretty much original equipment, or aftermarket that is a direct replacement. Generally, if something has a CARB EO number, you can use it. Best bet I think, would be to chat with the local authorities, and see what they have to say.

Down pipes on the stock y-pipe are 2 inch.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Duguid.kevin
Amateur

Ok thanks heyyou...do you think or maybe someone from cali can help would a custom y and universal carb cat work? Still carb certified...im trying to avoid paying the $450 for the magnaflow direct fit although that in itself will be a good upgrade

Old 07-20-2014, 10:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Should be able to find the magnaflow for less than that...... Have you check Rock Auto? I think folks have got them for in the neighborhood of 200......

Old 07-20-2014, 02:55 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Amazon.com often has good prices... it pays to check around.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Duguid.kevin
Amateur

Ya i have checked around and from what I have understood and researched the ones everyone gets for like 200 are for federal emissions not california emissions... i went to magnaflow website and got the part number and searched for that and it all came up for about 450 everywhere...im not sayin that a good deal isnt out there I just havent found it...if someone does find it can someone please send me the link I would love to get rid of this factory y pipe...

Im going to go down to a local exhaust shop today on my lunch and talk to them and see what they say...ill post up here on what they say

Old 07-21-2014, 10:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The exhaust shop should most certainly have a good idea of what they can, and cannot, legally do. Probably a better source of information than the local police.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:02 AM
Duguid.kevin
Amateur

Ya I feel a real need to talk to the police they might...be on the lookout for a certain truck...:-/ not good...anyway I havent had the chance I wanted to to get to a exhaust shop but as I do I will post what I find out

Old 08-01-2014, 12:50 PM
draftingmonkey
Captain

Part of the smog check is a visual inspection and if the cat(s) have been changed they will check for the EO tags (see excerpt below). To get rid of you y-pipe you would have to go with 2 CARB approved cats and 2 mufflers but not going to be cheap. Also there may be sensor issues that make it not worth while. With my 'o1 Ram I have to replace 2 pre-cats and the primary cat when they go out if I am still in Cali.

New C.A.R.B. regulations (effective 1-1-09) change the requirements of aftermarket catalytic converters sold in CA. The new regulations require that catalytic converters meet low emission vehicle (LEV) standards, a significant improvement in performance over the current generation catalysts.

These new regulations are limited to catalysts sold in CA, and do not effect catalysts sold in the other 49 states.

In addition all aftermarket converters sold or installed in the state of California must bear an Executive Order (EO Tag) stamp issues by CARB (California Air Resources Board).

Last edited by draftingmonkey; 08-01-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: exhaust questions for california smog...