2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

code 740. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Durango 44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 Durango with a 5.9L and 46RE. I rebuilt my transmission and had to replace the Crank sensor after installation. There was no physical damage to it but I must have bumped it or something. It was sputtering and threw a 1391 code.

Prior to that, I also had a P0740 code that indicated the torque converted was slipping. So I had to replace the torque converter. The cooler lines needed to be blown out to get all the liner material out of the cooler. It only blows out one way because of the check valve but if you cannot blow out the cooler then replace it.

While investigating the p0740 code I pulled the pan and found a broken snap ring in the pan. It holds the overdrive clutch together. That snap ring was broken because the 3-4 overdrive spring was broken. It was a chain reaction of problems. If your truck chatters when shifting into overdrive replace the 10 dollar 3-4 overdrive spring. The 3-4 overdrive spring is in the valve body and pushes the plunger when it shifts into overdrive. The chattering noise I think is the plunger rattling around because of the lack of spring pressure.

The spring is easy to get to after the trans filter is removed.

The snap ring came from the stack of clutch plates in the middle of the overdrive unit. This has a huge spring holding the clutch pack together. Do not take the clutch apart without a press or better yet take it to a shop for rebuild. I just bought a rebuilt one.

Here is the broken snap ring.

So the moral to this story is if your transmission chatters when shifting into overdrive replace the 10 dollar 3-4 spring, while you are at it change your fluid. If you don't you can expect your overdrive unit to fall apart. I do not know if the torque convert problem was caused by the spring or overdrive unit snap ring but I would bet it was.

I think if I was changing the filter and fluid I would replace the 3-4 overdrive spring too. It is easy to get to and cost about as much as the filter. It would have saved me a lot of problems. On the up side... think of the education.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Durango 44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The picture of the 3-4 overdrive spring is the new one going in. The old spring was broken at the fourth wind or about 1/3 of the way down. There is a plunger in the hole that the spring pushes in. The cover for the spring is hanging on a wire to the left of my hand. There are only five torx screws holding it on. Very easy to replace. I hope this helps. All the other posts I have looked at (and prayer) helped me to figure it out. Thanks

Quick Reply: code 740. HELP!